adoration

I have a question. I have been going to the adoration chapel for several months now, but sometimes I wonder why I am there.

Does anyone else have problems like this? I do try, but then my mind ends up wandering. I feel bad. Like how the apostles must have felt when they fell asleep on Jesus and he asked them why they couldn’t even stay an hour and pray with him.

Any thoughts?

Terry

If your ming wanders its not always a bad thing. Sure if your in the adoration chapel you should pray, but Christ understands when you start thinking about other things and sometimes thats the only way He can truly speak to you, because that may be the only time you truly listen. Just spending time with Christ and reading a book, journaling, or just sitting there staring at His beauty can be an amazing experience…

I am trying to find information on the proper procedure for going to adoration of the blessed sacrament. By this I mean, how are you to enter the tabernacle and do you genuflect when you enter the room or when you kneel at on the kneelers. I have been trying to find as much information as possible and everything I have read makes it sound as if everyone already know what to do. An help would be greatly appreciated.

God Bless. :bowdown:

[quote=Disciple of God]I am trying to find information on the proper procedure for going to adoration of the blessed sacrament. By this I mean, how are you to enter the tabernacle and do you genuflect when you enter the room or when you kneel at on the kneelers. I have been trying to find as much information as possible and everything I have read makes it sound as if everyone already know what to do. An help would be greatly appreciated.

In the adoration chapel, I beleive you are supposed to genuflect as you enter the room, I genuflect both when I enter and before I kneel at the kneelers just to be safe. Other than that there is no real procedure.
[/quote]

[quote=Disciple of God]I am trying to find information on the proper procedure for going to adoration of the blessed sacrament. By this I mean, how are you to enter the tabernacle and do you genuflect when you enter the room or when you kneel at on the kneelers. I have been trying to find as much information as possible and everything I have read makes it sound as if everyone already know what to do. An help would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

More reverence is shown when you kneel on both knees and give a slight bow to acknowledge His presence. Then proceed into the pew.

[/quote]

It is less about what is right but a matter of reverence. As you are entering a place where your God is patiently waiting for you to come intimately with Him, if you feel the inclination to lay down on your belly, do it. If you want to establish a more personal “dialogue” and are moved to just sit down and blurt out in your heart what troubles you, do it. Jesus knows what is in your heart.

I guess my only comment is to keep in mind that someone else is to be there when you arrive (the Blessed Sacrament is not to be left alone while Exposed). So out of respect of their worship, just be as inconspicous as you can be and be respectful. Your failure to be properly reverent might become a distraction to their worship and for this reason it is probably advisable to at least genuflect upon entering. And if you don’t genuflect, the person with you might think you aren’t Catholic and have wandered into the wrong place. :wink:

Personally, I always do an extended genuflection upon entering coupled with a prayer of gratitude that He is here waiting just for me and proceed to the pew and kneel. My wife goes down on both knees and bows almost til her head hits the floor gets up and genuflects again before entering the pew. If you are older and have bad back or knees and can only bow, don’t worry about it.

Regarding the OP’s concern about mind wandering, if I let that bother me, I’d be a wreck. If I start thinking about my day, what better way for Christ to impart His views on my “agenda” than when He is sitting there with me in all His Glory and Majesty.

P.S. I’m sure you mean chapel and not tabernacle. I don’t think it is good manners to crawl into the tabernacle. :smiley:

Based on a similar post on this subject quoting reputable sources, I think I probably erred in that you aren’t required to genuflect when entering a chapel or church where the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. You should at minimum genuflect.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.