Adoring the Eucharistic host?

I have a question regarding adoration chapels and adoring the Eucharistic host. What year did this practice start? When did perpetual adoration start? Why did the church feel it was ok to adore the Eucharist outside of the divine liturgy? Isnt it food for us? After all Jesus said “Eat my flesh and drink my blood” he never said anything about worshipping it. do you have any links that could bring more light onto this subject??

karen

Dear Karen,

You have been reading the wrong books and/or hanging around the wrong people! If the Eucharist is in fact the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, why would one not want to to reverence such a Presence?

It was the genius of St. Thomas Aquinas. plus his own personal sanctity that prompted him to write:

"As he was on the point of leaving the world to go to the Father, after celebrating the Passover with his discipless, he left it as a perpetual memorial of his passion. It was the fulfillment of ancient figures and the greatest of all his miracles, while for those who were to experience the sorrow of his departure, it was destined to be a unique and abiding consolation.

It was not uncommon to find St. Thomas leaning his head against the tabernacle in intimate affection for his Eucharistic Lord. There hasn’t been a canonized saint since the time of St. Thomas Aquinas who hasn’t had a profound devotion to the Blessed Sacrament–as have countless sinners.

I myself spend an hour each night before the tabernacle in the dark and in silence. He speaks in silence. But oh how He speaks in silence!

All your questions are answered in Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s book, “In The Presence Of Our Lord” which is available through catholic.com or by phone: 888 291 8000.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Dear Karen,

You have been reading the wrong books and/or hanging around the wrong people! If the Eucharist is in fact the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Jesus Christ, why would one not want to to reverence such a Presence?

It was the genius of St. Thomas Aquinas. plus his own personal sanctity that prompted him to write:

"As he was on the point of leaving the world to go to the Father, after celebrating the Passover with his discipless, he left it as a perpetual memorial of his passion. It was the fulfillment of ancient figures and the greatest of all his miracles, while for those who were to experience the sorrow of his departure, it was destined to be a unique and abiding consolation.

It was not uncommon to find St. Thomas leaning his head against the tabernacle in intimate affection for his Eucharistic Lord. There hasn’t been a canonized saint since the time of St. Thomas Aquinas who hasn’t had a profound devotion to the Blessed Sacrament–as have countless sinners.

I myself spend an hour each night before the tabernacle in the dark and in silence. He speaks in silence. But oh how He speaks in silence!

All your questions are answered in Fr. Benedict Groeschel’s book, “In The Presence Of Our Lord” which is available through catholic.com or by phone: 888 291 8000.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.