Adult Baptism

I’m a Protestant converting to the Greek Catholic faith and I’ve never been baptized. Is there any one who is in a similar situation that can explain to me how all that stuff works?

I’m not a convert (baptized in infancy), but my understanding is that, if you have never been baptized, you will need to be if you wish to enter the Church. The Church recognizes all Trinitarian baptisms (except those of the quasi-Christians like Mormons), so if you had been baptized in your Protestant denomination, it probably would have been valid.

May the peace of Christ be with you! I will pray for the finalization of your conversion.
James

If you are intending on joining the Greek Orthodox church (not in full communion with the Pope) , this might not be the place for an authoritative answer.

If you’re intending on joining an Eastern Right Catholic Church(in full communion with the Pope), the parish will guide you through the process as part of RCIA.

If you were baptized at any point using the correct formula and water, then it’s likely your baptism will be accepted and you’ll receive other sacraments of initiation, typically at the Easter Vigil.

May God Bless you on your journey into His church!

First of all, you are very lucky to have a Greek Catholic church within driving distance–wish I did! :slight_smile:

I was baptized as an adult in the Eastern Orthodox Church, and I’m guessing the Greek Catholic Church does baptisms the same way–through triple immersion, meaning you’ll be taken to a tank filled with water, and you’ll be dunked three times as Father speaks the names of the persons of the trinity. The groom in “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” was baptized in a kid’s swimming pool, which looked quite awkward. In my case, it was in a cattle trough. I’ve also seen a large plastic garbage can used in an adult Orthodox baptism.

You’ll also be chrismated, which involves anointing with olive oil. Some of your hair might be cut off as well (tonsuring), a tiny lock of it. I forget what exactly the tonsuring signifies, but the Eastern churches are huge on symbolism. You’ll probably also be asked to bring a white robe with a small red cross stitched over the chest area. That will be your baptismal garment.

RCIA is Latin Catholic, and will most likely not be utilized in an Eastern Catholic parish. Also, from my experience, I would not say that baptisms of adult converts are typically done at Easter; rather, they are generally done when the pastor of the parish believes that the catechumen is prepared for baptism.

Considering that in the United States, they’re commonly called Byzantine Catholics because they follow the Byzantine Rite (what the Eastern Orthodox follow), I would imagine the baptism to be the same.

There is variety within the Byzantine rite Eastern Churches. All practice immersion for the baptism of babies, but not always for adult baptisms. I’ve been to a baptism of a teenager that took place in a river. I’ve seen a few other adult baptisms. They have been split between pouring and immersion. If one prefers immersion, I would imagine that most priests would go out of their way to accommodate such a request.

In most Greek Catholic parishes in the US, a person would receive private instruction from the priest and be received into the church when he or she is ready. Traditionally, Pentecost is a time for Baptisms, but it is usually not necessary to wait until Pentecost.

Greek-Slavonic. So, Ruthenian. Although there is an Italo-Greek Catholic Church under the Eparchy of Phoenix. I’ve met both the bishop and the archpriest in person. It was awesome! :thumbsup:

In my Melkite Greek Catholic parish, everyone is immersed. Byzantines usually have high regard for immersing people. Traditionally, pouring would only be done in extreme circumstances. :slight_smile:

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.