Adult Stem Cells Help Diabetes Patients Get Off Insulin

In a stem cell study, patients own adult stem cells have helped 12 out of 23 patients with Diabetes type 1 get off insulin. See the details here at Adult Stem Cell Research

No, that can’t be right, only embryonic stem cells have promise!:smiley: I like this kind of news about diabetes. This will help out alot of kids,teens, and some adults dealing with diabetes Hopefully something can be discovered for those with type 2. I wonder what the American Diabetes Association has to say about this. I stopped supporting them when they started pushing (very hard) embryonic stem cells. Like everyone else, embryonic is the ONLY way to go.

:slapfight: (me vs. diabetes)

As a wife and mother to someone with Type 1, this is good news. I wish there was a cure in the near future. I stopped giving to the JDRF a long time ago because of their love relationship with embryonic stem cell research. BTW, the only reason I responded was because of saskatoons smilie. After a hellacious week with hellacious numbers from my son, that is very much how I feel (except I seem to be losing) :frowning:
… May I?

:slapfight:(me vs. my sons diabetes)

Induced pluripotent stem cells (iPS) can help convert Alpha cells in the pancreas into Beta cells, which produce insulin.

Hope you’d enjoy that.

I have results (and will post them in the very near future) from a doctor treating patients with their own Adult Stem Cells for Diabetes 1 and 2 in Latin America. Similar to the results in this trial, not a 100% cure per se, but definite improvements, less complications etc. – and very simple process, too bad we can’t do it here in the US.

While this is FANTASTIC news, as a parent of a Type 1 diabetic I know that this news is not portrayed accurately in the title or in the first post to this thread. I mean no malice and I don’t believe there was any attempt to deceive, but please let me explain.

The ONLY way this works is for NEWLY DIAGNOSED patients who still have some pancreatic function. Any patient who has been on insulin for a while and who’s pancreas has ceased working (which is MOST of the Type 1 diabetics) cannot use this treatment/cure.

So if you know someone, or if you have Type 1 diabetes and you see these headlines don’t get your hopes up. This treatment, sadly is not for them/you. When talking to my daughter’s doctors about this treatment it is still not available, even for newly diagnosed patients who still have some pancreatic function left.

This is GREAT NEWS, it is also something that has been in the works for a while down in Brazil and reported about a year ago, it holds some promise for new sufferers of Type 1 diabetes, but only for those near a research facility that can do this type of treatment. Maybe in 10 or 15 years it will be the main focus of initial treatment? I hope it gets to that stage. Maybe at some point they will be able to actually treat patients who have established Type 1 diabetes?

Pray for these researchers to find a cure. Type 1 Diabetes is a horrible disease.

Ha, your post made me chuckle. That sounds a lot like us with our daughter :wink: Although THIS week her numbers were pretty good. Now don’t ask about LAST week :eek:

BTW, I also agree with you about JDRF. Wish I could get my wife to see things the same way. Then again I wish she was Catholic instead of Episcopalian but hey, that is another thread :rolleyes: We do live as Catholics, raise our daughter as a Catholic and only attend Catholic services, but every once in a while . . .

Much progress has been made with embryonic stem cells. It’s ridiculous to say that the science has no value. The question of morality and ethics is something else. But embryonic stem cells have a big future in medicine. In addition to the new therapy below, there’s another clinical trial just under way in the U.S. for spinal cord injuries.
No one is forced to avail themselves of these therapies and cures if you object to how they were discovered.

From The Sunday TimesApril 19, 2009

Blind to be cured with stem cells
Sarah-Kate Templeton, Health Editor
BRITISH scientists have developed the world’s first stem cell therapy to cure the most common cause of blindness. Surgeons predict it will become a routine, one-hour procedure that will be generally available in six or seven years’ time.

The treatment involves replacing a layer of degenerated cells with new ones created from embryonic stem cells. It was pioneered by scientists and surgeons from the Institute of Ophthalmology at University College London and Moorfields eye hospital.

This week Pfizer, the world’s largest pharmaceutical research company, will announce its financial backing to bring the therapy to patients.

timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6122757.ece

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.