Adult Women Play House With Fake Babies

WASHINGTON - Many people like to stop and play with newborn babies, but now some adult women are playing house with fake babies.

Some women are even going as far as taking day trips with the fake babies to the park, out to eat, and even hosting birthday parties for them.

Forty-nine-year-old Linda is married with no children of her own. Now, she says she feels like a mother because she has Reborns – dolls made to look and feel like the real thing. …

Entire article here: wjla.com/news/stories/0109/582097.html

Wow. I really want to avoid being judgmental, but my first reaction to this is that it is just weird and wrong. Real babies that are sick and in the hospital and need to be held, rocked and cuddled would truly benefit AND fill the needs of these women. Real children who suffer from abuse and neglect would benefit more if these women spent time and money on them instead of on fakes.

The whole world has gone topsy turvy and insane…

How sad. There was a program where I lived but in the city that looked for women to hold newborns born with HIV/Aids. Many of these babies will not survive to see adulthood. They** never** had enough volunteers.

Most communities are in constant need of volunteers to read to small children, etc.

It may be that they just have never heard of these programs or are afraid to get involved as they fear it will entail too much time.They just need to put their foot down and say they can only give a certain amount of time.

I’ve seen stories on this as well. I just pity them as victims of our culture IMHO.

For all the grief large families are given, and I am always surprised when someone comments on the “large” size of our family (3 kids :rolleyes: ), but for all the grief given to those who have large families, it’s surprising how many times I’ve heard from women that they wish they could have had more than their 1 or 2 kids. It’s strange that strangers will share something that personal, but so many people are hurting I guess.

If most of these women would have or could have had more children, then their aching arms could be filled with the joy of live grandchildren, not pretend babies. Thier “baby lust” :smiley: would be more than fulfilled. They are just victims of a culture that, through radical feminism, has lied to them viciously.

These women need psycho therapy…

I wonder if any of these “babies” are anything but perfect.

creep me out

:eek:

~Liza

The manifestations of a “plastic” society.

Wow. I really want to avoid being judgmental, but my first reaction to this is that it is just weird and wrong. Real babies that are sick and in the hospital and need to be held, rocked and cuddled would truly benefit AND fill the needs of these women. Real children who suffer from abuse and neglect would benefit more if these women spent time and money on them instead of on fakes.

Are those women obliged to adopt?
It’s their free time, they can do whatever they want. I’m pretty sure you have some hobbies (like wasting time on catholic forums) which take up your time & money, which could otherwise be spent actually maybe even saving lives.
It’s not nice to judge others.

But man, those babies look pretty realistic o_o

Not just women are needed…when I lived in Sacramento some 15 years ago, there was a program at some of the area hospitals that needed voluteers to come hold and rock AIDS babies…it was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life…they were so small and frail…most wouldn’t live past 4-5…I’m sure with the new meds the prognosis is better…but back then it was a “holy” thing to rock one of these babies.

I’m not so sure those women are of the right state of mind to be volunteering to hold AIDS babies. They’re unstable and need help and have no business being around children, imo.

For some reason I’m curiosly reminded of ‘Brave New World’ by Huxley…

It reminds me of the movie Z…P.G. from the seventies. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s why God gave us cats.

Awesome :thumbsup:

I’m afraid I missed your point here since I don’t think anybody mentioned adoption at all. (Maybe I missed it if they did). My point was why “play” with fake babies to fill a need to nurture when one could actually help a real, living child with actual nurturing through volunteering?

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, eh?

Because nurturing involves work, and a real child makes demands. The doll doesn’t do anything you don’t want it to - it’s “just the good part of motherhood”, to quote one of the women in the article.

These women aren’t interested in dealing with real babies. I can understand why some here are saddened by it, but as Robertsxxx mentioned earlier, its a hobby for them.

I think you’ve summed it up very well.:thumbsup:

Reminds me of a deliberately creepy scene in P.D. James’s “The Children of Men”, though in this case, the human race had spontaneously lost its fertility and women were grasping at anything to fulfill their frustrated desires to have something child-like to take care of.

Reminds me of a CSI episode… (vaguely)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.