Adults are not keeoing up with vaccinations

I always get a flu shot . I am wondering about this shingles vaccine?

I have read it only lasts for 4 years and is about $200…We are on a fixed income and it seems a bit pricey considering it isn’t lifetime protection

Shingles are terrible and can last a very long time and even cause blindness if it occurs near your eyes

Has anyone here been vaccinated for them?

www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/apr/03/adults-must-keep-current-with-their-vaccinations/

Did you have chicken pox as a child. I always thought that if you had chicken pox as a child it gave you more (not total) protection from shingles.

My dad had chicken pox as a child. He got shingles when he was 70.

So clearly having had chicken pox does NOT offer protection from shingles.

Shingles and chicken pox are the same thing. They call it shingles if you are an adult. Once you’ve had chicken pox you generally won’t have a relapse. It never goes away, however, the virus lays dormant in your body, around the spinal cord, I think. Once you get older and your immune system weakens you can have relapses more easily.

Chicken pox and shingles are caused by the same virus, so having chicken pox as a child predisposes an individual to get shingles later in life. Usually shingles is seen in middle-age and older individuals, and while it can cause blindness, the majority of people with shingles do not experience this effect.

As for the cost of the vaccine: yes, it is expensive, but I think that the $200 has to be the amount before insurance. If you have coverage it should be lsignificantly ess.

I would suggest talking to a physician to see if you are a high-risk individual and then make a decision about the vaccine after this.

As someone that has had shingles this is what the Dr told me.

If a person has had chickenpox OR the vaccine you are more likely to get shingles. The virus stays in your fat cells for life and stresses in life cause the virus to show itself as shingles.

I think you are right and they have told elderly to stay away from kids with chicken pox, because of the link between the two

I just feel this shot is extremely expensive for only 4 years of protection

I just asked my mother and she said Medicare paid the whole cost for her, except for an administrative fee of $3.65. If you live in the US, perhaps you could check with Medicare to see what they will pay?

Thank you I am not old enough for medicare yet, but I am glad to know they are paying for this…it will help a great many people

Some Dr’s tell the just vaccinated to stay around from the elderly and ill so that they don’t become exposed to the disease being vaccinated for. I couple of years back, people were being diagnosed with polio from being exposed to a child recently given the vaccine.:shrug:

OTHO having had shingles (not once but twice) I can tell you that if the vaccine was truly something that prevented it for four years I would find the money for it. The disease was horrible in my case every nerve ending in my body was on fire.

I will bear it in mind but living on a fixed income always makes us cut our coat to fit our cloth…there are always lots of things that are important to juggle

You might look into your *chances *of getting shingles. I remember a few years ago, there were warnings about something or other, and I was very worried, so I looked into how often the bad outcome occurred, and it was like .01%, so I stopped worrying.

Thank you that is a very good idea

Redrosetea, the company which makes the shingles vaccine has a program to help people who can’t afford its products and Zostavax (the shingles vaccine) is available for free.

You need to be 60 years old or older, not have medical insurance, and not be able to afford the vaccine (based on household income). You can find out more about it at:
merck.com/merckhelps/vaccines/home.html

Dale thank you this is a valuable piece of information you are sharing with all of us…I am sure many people will be glad to know this

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.