Advent Anxiety - what to do?

Advice for those who are experiencing sadness instead of joy as the season sets in?

i hope that i have real joy this christmas season.. i havent felt that in a long time

Dear Hienieboo,

Are you doing anything specific to turn your heart to Christ this season?

The holidays fill me with joy! :)

Awesome! How do you spread it around?

"The Word was made Flesh and Lived among Us"[John1:14]

This is what we are celebrating. Knowing this, Christmas cannot but be a joyful occasion for me.

"You know the gracious act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that for your sake He became poor although He was rich, so that by His poverty you might become rich."[2Cor.8:9]

I think this is one of the most touching and humbling lines of Scripture. In many ways it sums up the whole Christmas story. If we want joy at Christmas, we must not close the door on the Holy Family as the innkeepers did - we must tell the Lord the there is indeed "room at the inn" and warmly invite Him in.

Also, I would urge people to do their best to keep the secularisation of Christmas at bay. Make a point of saying "Happy Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays". There are two important elements that we as Christians must strive to keep in Christmas - "Christ" and "Mass"!

Very well said

[quote="Lifeisawesome, post:1, topic:178310"]
Advice for those who are experiencing sadness instead of joy as the season sets in?

[/quote]

Are you experiencing loneliness?

[quote="Lifeisawesome, post:1, topic:178310"]

[/quote]

I am a recovered alcoholic, 25 years sober in AA. We get many newcomers who struggle with this problem newly sober. Our general suggestion is to write up a gratitude list.

In addition, you may want to write the problems of Advent that cause amxiety and/or sadness, and deposit it in a God Box:grouphug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.