Advent Wreath

I adore the tradition of having a Advent wreath in one’s home and saying the prayers.
Do some of you folks create your own Advent wreath?
I lost my booklet that has the daily prayers printed in it as a guide.
Are there many forms of these prayers? What are the prayers to be said when lighting
one’s wreath, and the way of practicing this old tradition?

I lit my wreath but I missed the candles and it burned up :(.

j/k

Oh my goodness.
That is kind of funny.:stuck_out_tongue:

Just joking :D.

I want to make one this year :slight_smile:

is it 3 purple candles and 1 pink candles?

(sorry I just became Catholic on Easter lol!)

What does the one pink represent? Mary?

The rose or pink candle is lit for the Third Sunday of Advent, also known as Gaudete (rejoice) Sunday.

Three purple (violet) and one rose. Don’t ever let a priest hear you call it pink.:wink:

A simple google search will give you prayers and how it all works. But generally, you light a violet candle the 1st, 2nd and 4th Sundays. The rose is for the 3rd Sunday. Your church will have an Advent Candle, follow how they do it. :shrug:

Sounds like the pink candle or rose represents Mary . . .

Mary’s color is generally blue, not rose or pink.

catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?id=3994&CFID=20911402&CFTOKEN=78201035

The rose candle is lit on the third Sunday, Gaudete Sunday, when the priest also wears rose vestments at Mass; Gaudete Sunday is the Sunday of rejoicing, because the faithful have arrived at the midpoint of Advent, when their preparation is now half over and they are close to Christmas.

Rose, creating our own Advent wreath’s is a wonderful idea! Thank you! :thumbsup:

I’ve wanted a nice Advent Wreath, for a long time; but for some reason… they are SO expensive in all of the Catholic gift and supply catalogs. It never occurred to me… to make my own! :o

I think a trip to the craft store will be on my list of things to do! I’m already formulating idea’s on how to create a beautiful Advent Wreath.

God bless! :slight_smile:

I made my own advent wreath… I just went to Michael’s and got a small, plain (fake) evergreen wreath, a shallow glass plate, and five white votive candles. I tied purple ribbon around three of the votives, rose ribbon around one, and silver ribbon around the fifth. I placed the candles among the evergreen and voila! Advent wreath.

Hi Marie!
Yes, your right…the prices for even a simple, plain Advent wreath is rather ridiculous
when one sees them in stores or catalogs.
Your inspiration to create one of your own has also inspired me to make another one!
Usually I gather little fir branches and pine cones from the Forest, and pine cones, but
make sure that the candle holders are tall.
God Blessings sent to you and yours also!:wink:

Thanks Mary for sharing about the candle colors. Good reminder.

Yep, used the search engine ixquick and found all the traditional prayers for the
beautiful Advent season.

Have a blessed holiday season!:slight_smile:

Greetings!

Wow! Your description of your home crafted Advent wreath on the glass plate and
the additional, pretty colored ribbons sounds so beautiful!
I’m definitely going to add the ribbon idea to this years Advent wreath!
I read yesterday on a site that the first day for starting all this lighting and prayer
ritual is November 29th this year. :shrug:

God Blessings to you and yours!

Hi Monica!
Thanks for your sweet reply and enjoy creating your Advent wreath.:wink:

God Bless!

I made my own wreath years ago (I pull it out each year now) and I’ve lost the readings/meditations I gathered to go with it - but that was also prior to becoming Catholic and I’d love some good Catholic meditations to go with our wreath this year. Any suggestions on somewhere I could find them? (especially free ones)

You could try these.

catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=16

catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=73

catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=952

Congratulations on entering the Catholic Church!:slight_smile:

Well, after I started this thread I found some great, traditional Advent prayers to say
every week with the candle lighting. Went to ixquick and just typed in Advent wreath
prayers. Looks like some good links with the next post beneath yours too. Great!

Thanks for the reminder. I had already planned on (perhaps) doing some of my secular decos, as well as Nativities, a bit earlier this year - but needed that Advent wreath reminder. I have one that was a gift to me a few years ago - made of China or glass. There’s no green wreath - just a white circular base. The first year I used it, I said prayers - but don’t recall doing so last year.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.