Advent Wreath

Hi Everyone,

I was googling how to make my own Advent wreath and I came across a website that claimed that Martin Luther "invented" the Advent wreath to teach the catechism to children. I know it was a German custom (probably way before Martin Luther) and probably would have to have been a Catholic German custom... I highly doubt he invented it.

Anyone know the actual history of the Advent wreath? I was a history and religious studies major in college, but it never extended to this :D

[quote="pkdsquared, post:1, topic:221396"]
Hi Everyone,

I was googling how to make my own Advent wreath and I came across a website that claimed that Martin Luther "invented" the Advent wreath to teach the catechism to children. I know it was a German custom (probably way before Martin Luther) and probably would have to have been a Catholic German custom... I highly doubt he invented it.

Anyone know the actual history of the Advent wreath? I was a history and religious studies major in college, but it never extended to this :D

[/quote]

I would love to know this, too :p

I believe that the wreath was originally pagan (just like the Christmas Tree), and I was also under the impression that at some time, Martin Luther was a Roman Catholic priest. :rolleyes:

Maybe he was the one who started it being used as a Christmas Tradition... sort of like being the one to write The Christmas Song..,.. doesn't mean he invented music :)

Here’s what Wiki has to say…

Thanks. The thought had occurred to me that Luther may have popularized it while still a Catholic monk.

Also, it makes sense that it would be of German origin (or Germanic pagan origin) because I always thought it had some link to the wreaths the Swedish girls wore on their heads for the feast of Santa Lucia.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.