Adventure/survival stories for boys?

My 11 year old loves Hatchet by Gary Paulsen. I’m trying to find books of the same genre and quality.

Ideas?

On My Side of the Mountain is a good book. It is about a boy who runs away from home and makes a home for a year living of the wilderness on a mountain. There are two sequels too.

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler might also fit. It is one of my favs! It is about two kids who run away from home and live in the Metro. Museum of Art in NYC.

Island of the Blue Dolphins is a good book, but might be more for girls/ :shrug:

Gary Paulsen also has a number of other books, some in the same series and some not.

Swiss Family Robinson might be good. I’ve never actually read the book :o but the movie is good and it is the right kind of story. It is a classic, but it says the reading level is 9-12yo.

Speaking of classics, what about Tom Sawyer, Huck Finn or Treasure Island

That should keep him busy for awhile, depending on how fast he reads. :smiley:

We got On This Side of the Mountain and Frightful’s Mountain at the library. We also got Robinson Crusoe–which I haven’t read for a couple of decades–so, my dh is rereading it to see if it’s okay for an eleven year old.

Love to have some more ideas. He also likes action/adventure type novels.

I remember My Side of the Mountain.

Also, Dolphin Island by Arthur C Clark
amazon.com/Dolphin-Island-Arthur-C-Clarke/dp/0441152201

Lloyd Alexander’s Chronicles of Prydain (5 books)
Book 1 - The Book of Three
amazon.com/Book-Three-Chronicles-Prydain/dp/0805080481/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1229911481&sr=1-1

He may be ready for The Hobbit.

I read quite a few but done remember titles and authors.

If you’re concerned as to whether Robinson Crusoe is good for an eleven year old (I think it is, unless I’m forgetting something, but it might be a hard read), you might want to look into Great Illustrated Classics, which abridge and revise classics for a younger audience.

Actually, strike that. Look into Great Illustrated Classics, period. They’re great, and perfect for that age group. Its how I got into reading. If its good, they have it. Journey to the Center of the Eart, the Red Badge of Courage, Ivanhoe, War of the Worlds, Robin Hood, anything.

Here are some classic I think I read about that age:

Try Robert Lewis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island. Then, get the movie starring Wallace Beery and Jackie Cooper. This is among the best pirate movies ever made. Long John Silver (Arghh, me hearties!) beats Jack Sparrow any day.

Jules Verne’s 20 Thousand Leagues Under the Sea

Jack London’s White Fang

Rudyard Kipling’s Kim

Johann Wyss: Swiss Family Robinson

And, try this list:
stanlylib.org/kidlit_adventure.html

I have just purchased 6 hardbacked old books of the Boy’s Own Annual variety on our local auction site.

Having three grandsons I want stories to read to them that reflect good moral and ethical values, rather than the ‘Heather Has Two Mommies’ or ‘Daddy’s Roommate’ variety they are likely to be subjected to in school ion a couple of years.

Swiss Family Robinson is good so is Kim.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.