Advice about writing non productive books

I want to write a book about my experience in a video game I played, Star Wars: The Old Republic. I don’t even plan on publishing it, but it would be therapeutic to get the memories out of my head. Would it be sinful since it brings up depressing memories?

What’s sinful about bringing up depressing thoughts?

I guess because the past is dead. I can’t do anything to change the past. It feels like it would be a waste of time, but that probably is the scrupulously talking.

I know what that’s like, mate. If you can handle those memories then it’s a go :slight_smile:

Thank you, I’ll give it a go. The nostalgia and experience of playing a MMO is a life changing experience. You make alot of friends, the game dies out and regret past mistakes and how things could have been.

Maybe they won’t be depressive after all, when you see it all written.

Therapeutic writing is not sinful. In fact, writing down thoughts or experiences in order to “get the thoughts out of your head” is a practice recommended by some self-help books and therapists. At one point in my life I did these types of writing exercises every day for a long time. Ended up with a binder of handwritten sheets about 4 inches thick and it definitely helped me change my life for the better.

I’d say it’s only sinful if you’re writing down sinful experiences you had during the game (like sexual experiences or stealing from someone) and then sitting around dwelling on them in a wishful way, like “that was great, I’d love to do that again.” In that case you might want to check yourself. But if you’re not doing that then it sounds to me like a good thing to do to put your thoughts at rest.

You’re suffering with scrupulocity. The sin is that you are doubting the authority of your own conscience to avoid doubting the authority of the Church. BOTH have authority. Stop doubting your conscience. And if you’re feeling anxiety about “Wait was that a sin?” afteryou did something, than that’s OCD which is an anxiety disorder. You’re seeking more knowledge about Church teaching because you’re using it to cope with an anxiety disorder. Find a good Catholic therapist and stop being so afraid of sin. And only confess sins which you are certain were sinful.

No. In fact getting difficult thoughts onto paper (or on a word doc) can be a good way of making yourself feel better about them.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.