Advice and prayers needed for my vocation

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

I need your prayers and advice for my vocation. Before you could give your advice, feedback or suggestions, first, let me tell you a brief background of myself.

When I was a child, I was attracted to the priesthood. Every Sunday morning, my grandfather (who was a K of C) used to bring me to Church. I was attracted to the priest's gestures, talking, and vestments. I was also attracted to the altar, statues at the Church, stain glasses depicting the life of Jesus etc.

This may sound strange but due to my attraction, I was prompted to play the mass and act like a priest. I just get a blanket, wrap it over myself like a priest and act like one. I even transformed my room into a chapel: I got figurines of the Holy Family and Our Blessed Mother and a crucifix, placed them on a table and added some chairs and voila! I brought the Bible, read it aloud and dramatize the liturgy of the Eucharist without people listening or paying attention.

I remembered a few years ago during Holy Week, my mother made a wooden crucifix. It's a big wooden crucifix but it was light. She then made a Crown of Thorns out of the shrubs and bushes of my grandmother's garden and yes, I wore it and she took a picture of me.

My grandfather met this priest in our local parish a few years ago and they became close friends. He introduced me to the priest. He told the priest about me playing the mass and etc., and the priest was amazed somehow so he gave me this wooden ciborium (which got broken and was lost).

My relatives always teased me about playing the mass. They recall me as spreading my arms all the time and reading the bible.

Now I am 18 years old and I am in my third year of college studies taking up Business Administration. I want to pursue my vocation to the priesthood. In fact I already have admitted it to my relatives and they have shown their support. I am planning to finish my studies and enter the seminary or a religious order and become a priest someday. But there are plenty of things to be considered. My father doesn't want me to become one. He wants me to work at a company or at a bank and start a family of my own. My mother wants me to work in a call center but if ever I want to enter the seminary or a religious order, she will still support me.

Your advice and prayers are deeply appreciated.

I will definitely pray for you. :)

My best advice is to contact the vocations office in your diocese and speak with someone there. You may also want to contact any order that you might be considering.

Peace be with you on your journey!

Congratulations on being through your third year of college at 18. As you are learning, one doesn’t study to be a call center, bank employee or other specific duty degree, one learns the principals that the business world is founded on. The specifics are learned on the job. Yet, there is nothing wrong with bringing the business, economic, or accounting principles one learns, we likely need more of that in society today!

A parent wants what is best for a son or daughter. Perhaps you have exhibited changes to your parents. I suspect they also have an insight into what our Lord wants. Arrange a joint session with your parish priest. My sense is that will clear up many matters.

You and your family are in my prayers.

I hope someday I have a son like you! (:
God bless you!! I will pray for you.

Thank you so much dear brothers and sisters for your prayers!

I want to enter a Franciscan order, particularly the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word in Alabama, US. I am inspired by Fr. Anthony and the Friars and my namesakes are two GREAT Franciscan Saints: Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Anthony of Padua. But I am from the Philippines and it would be costly if I would travel to the US and I don't have my US VISA yet.

My aunt from my mother's side wants me to enter the Jesuits and yes, the Jesuits are great! They run some of the best Catholic universities here, and I'm a fan of Fr. Mitch. Fr. Mitch is a great homilist.

The seminary is only a few kilometers away from the Diocesan Shrine (Cathedral) and they're currently holding entrance examinations until the end of this month.

God bless you!

I'll pray for you.

By the way, playing mass as a child doesn't sound strange to me. I certainly didn't do it because I didn't grow up Catholic, but children play at being things they see in real life (or on TV or in stories or whatever). I've heard of future priests doing just that, though of course kids who will not be priests, even girls for all I know, might do it too just like they might also pretend to be soldiers or cowboys or something else they won't be called to become as an adult.

[quote="Francis93, post:5, topic:258927"]
Thank you so much dear brothers and sisters for your prayers!

I want to enter a Franciscan order, particularly the Franciscan Missionaries of the Eternal Word in Alabama, US. I am inspired by Fr. Anthony and the Friars and my namesakes are two GREAT Franciscan Saints: Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Anthony of Padua. But I am from the Philippines and it would be costly if I would travel to the US and I don't have my US VISA yet.

My aunt from my mother's side wants me to enter the Jesuits and yes, the Jesuits are great! They run some of the best Catholic universities here, and I'm a fan of Fr. Mitch. Fr. Mitch is a great homilist.

The seminary is only a few kilometers away from the Diocesan Shrine (Cathedral) and they're currently holding entrance examinations until the end of this month.

God bless you!

[/quote]

I will be praying for you daily, we need more priests like you. :)

I recall saying a ‘Mass’ as a child on our mantlepiece in the lounge and when Mum informed me that girls cannot be priests and say the Mass, I was devestated.:slight_smile:

I will keep you in daily prayer and may The Lord fulfill the desires of your heart and may your parents decide to support you all the way. Amen. Not at all unusual for parents to desire their children to fulfill their own desires for them - some and I hope most come to realize that our children need to live their own lives and fulfill their own dreams and we need to support them. And especially in something like a vocation to the priesthood. Some parents very reluctantly accept that their child is going to enter religious life or the priesthood and do arrive at great joy becuase of it. I will be praying for you and your parents. Perhaps your mother will be able to convince your Dad that you have to live your own life and follow a call and vocation from God.
In the final analysis, sometimes children have to follow their own heart and dreams, their vocation, despite their parents being unsupportive.This can be very painful - to choose God and His Will over our parents.

Arrange a joint session with your parish priest.

Jolly good advice from Wildkit.
TS

I am also discerning my vocation to the religious life at this time.

One thing I would say is don't have that "joint meeting" with the parish priest, at least until you have had a chance to discuss and discern what your vocation is with someone who is trained to do so. Not every parish priest is able, or has the time, to guide someone, especially if they are attracted to the religious life. It's a little like going to your family doctor and asking what life as a brain surgeon would be like. He or she would be able to give you a few generalities but not the specifics.

As to deciding which community to enter, it is not about who you admire but where God wants you to be. Contact your diocesian vocations director, visit vocation-network.org to learn about communities. When you have chosen a few you feel would suit your personality and the way of life that you feel called to (active, contemplative, semi-cloistered,missionary, etc), then get in touch with them. Most Orders or communities have vocations weekends, I strongly advise attending these if you can, as meeting others in the same boat is very helpful. Visiting a community and finding out more about it, plus of course lots of prayer, is the way that you will discern where God is calling you.

Once you have decided where you feel you are called to be, that is the time to bring in your parents. They can talk to the vocations director and ask questions, without it turning into pressuring you to "work for a few years" or "wait and see, if you really have a vocation, it will wait". I would say that sometimes God doesn't ask us to follow the vocation that we want, the one that on the surface is attractive to us, because of someone in the Order or the work they do. It is only by deep prayer and most of all by getting to know that community, that you will discover where you are being called.

I will pray for your vocation.

Once again, thank you brothers and sisters for your prayers and advice! May GOD bless you and your families!

Francis93, you're 18 years old. I think some Bishops/Vocation Directors might be reluctant to take you into their seminary program at such a young age.

[quote="Providence_Peep, post:11, topic:258927"]
Francis93, you're 18 years old. I think some Bishops/Vocation Directors might be reluctant to take you into their seminary program at such a young age.

[/quote]

I'm still studying. I will be 19 years old when I graduate. After 4 years of instruction at the seminary, I will be like 24 years old on my priestly ordination. :)

[quote="Francis93, post:12, topic:258927"]
I'm still studying. I will be 19 years old when I graduate. After 4 years of instruction at the seminary, I will be like 24 years old on my priestly ordination. :)

[/quote]

But there are plenty of Bishop and Vocation Directors who will only accept guys who have been "out in the world" for a while.

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.