Advice for a struggling college student...please?

At the college that I am attending, they are very much against Catholicism. Every full-time faculty member has to sign a statement saying they are an “evangelical protestant.” A professor recently converted to the Catholic Church and was fired.
This is, obviously, a Christian school (affiliated with the Reformed Presbyterian church). However, as fellow Christians, I would think they would encourage Christianity. Catholics on campus have always been looked down on. There is a Catholic chaplain here, but he was told that he was not permitted to hold any events or groups for Catholics on campus.
You might ask why, as a Catholic, am I staying here…Well, 2 reasons: (1) I’m a junior and am just now really, really feeling the impact of this anti-Catholic feeling and the credits I have taken won’t all transfer elsewhere and I’m sooo ready to be done with school; and (2) I feel like I’m meant to be here. I have actually helped a lot of students here to get over their misconceptions of Catholics.
Recently, a few students have gotten together to have a “Catholic fellowship” meeting. The school is acknowledging that we are getting together, but will not allow us to have a “club” status. It’s a start. We were thinking that we should do something to make other students aware of the presence of Catholics on campus…not in an offensive or agressive way, but through an act of service or something of the sort. We have no clue what to do, though.
Any suggestions of what we can do to share the Catholic faith through actions (other than in just our daily living)? Thanks a bunch!!

Off the top of my pointy little head, how about having bible studies that include 1st and 2nd Maccabees, Tobit, and all the other non-approved books of the Bible.

<><

Bravo for sticking it out and trying to educate these people!!

What if you invited a Catholic speaker or apologist of sorts, to come and give a talk? You could raise the money among yourselves, as some charge a fee, and hold it off campus if the college won’t all it.

Here’s one suggestion…

www.biblechristiansociety.com

How about spearheading some charitable work, like a day working at a local soup kitchen, or collecting used clothes for the homeless, etc.? Or Christmas caroling at a local nursing home? Or offering coffee and hot chocolate near the library during finals week?

We considered doing some kind of charitable work and there’s certainly a lot that needs done in this community, but we don’t really know where to start. There are already 2 food drives and a clothing drive going on, so those (the 2 easiest) are out of the question. There is a group of students who regularly visit the nursing homes to do activities with the elderly. And our library provides coffee and hot chocolate all the time.
But they really are good suggestions. I’m not trying to just object to everything…honest!
Thanks!

How about Habitat for Humanity?

Or, our church has Special Night Out once a month. Parents of severely handicapped children can leave them in our care for about 4 hours(6-10pm) and go shopping, dinner, etc. There is a bit of orientation/training and there is a trained R. N. present, but it is doable. Just an idea…

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

1. My alma mater used to have a rosary group that met in a cafeteria at 10 pm to say the most Holy Rosary, each and every night (including Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays). This is in my humble opinion, the best idea, because the Rosary is a prayer that the Immaculate Heart of Mary fervently urged us to pray at Fatima for our own conversion, the conversion of sinners around the world, help for the souls in purgatory, world peace, and happy families. The catholic students involved with this group became much closer than the catholic students involved in any other catholic group activity to the best of my horribly limited knowledge.

2. One could organize a devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary study. The Immaculate Heart of Mary is the Mediatrix of all graces (all graces come through her from the Holy Spirit), the Mother of Mercy, the most powerful after God the Father, most loving after God the Son, most wise after God the Holy Spirit (according to St. Louis Mary de Montfort). Devotion to Our Lady is a weapon God gives to those he wants to save. Mother Theresa said, “Stay close to Our Lady. For through her, you can do great things for God.” The Immaculate Heart of Mary is the Church’s model of human faith and charity (according to our Cathechism of the Catholic Church section 967), the “sweetness” of the Cross according to St. Louis Mary de Montfort (and see how she helped the wedding guests at the Wedding at Cana and stood near Jesus at the Cross).

I would personally love to do a study introducing interested people, including non-catholics, to devotion to Mary, through such books as True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort, montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html, preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin Mary, saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfmThe Secret of the Rosary by St. Louis Mary de Montfort, (one site says of this book: “Probably the finest book ever written about the Rosary; appeals to all ages; Shows the great spiritual power of the Rosary, which is appreciated by few.” montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html , The Glories of Mary, by one of the 33 Doctors of the Church, St. Alphonsus de Liguori (it also explains the Hail Holy Queen prayer) catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm#INTRO, the life of St. Padre Pio who said “The Rosary is The WEAPON” and said as many as 90 rosaries a day, the life of Polish Saint Maximilian Maria who followed the True Devotion to Mary. He studied philosophy, theology, mathematics, and physics as a college student, before earning a doctorate in philosophy and a doctorate in theology in Rome, while suffering from tuberculosis. He became a priest, changed his name to Maria from Kolbe to venerate the Blessed Virgin Mary, sheltered 2,000 Jews in his friary during the Holocaust, and when taken to the Auschwitz concentration camp offered to die in place of another man since that man had family and he did not as an abstinent fiar. During his time in the cell, he led the men in songs and prayer. Finally, after three weeks of dehydration and starvation, he was injected with carbolic acid and died. He is reported on the Jewish Virtual Library as Righteous Among the Nations. It shows that no matter how dire the situation God can continue to strengthen us. jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/Kolbe.html and www.consecration.com, the life of St. Therese of Liseux, who also followed the True Devotion to Mary and died at 24 of tuberculosis in a Carmelite convent reputedly saying, “I can suffer no more. For me all suffering is joy.”, her book The Story of a Soul is widely loved and some consider her to be the greatest saint of modern times, and a new book on how Mother Theresa’s joy during her “Dark Night” was Mary just like Jesus’s sweetness at the Cross for Mary is coming out (zenit.org/article-22398?l=english) by the co-founder of her order. It is called Mother Theresa: In the Shadow of Our Lady, as well as the lives of St. Dominic and St. Francis of Assisi who existed at the same time and who the Immaculate Heart of Mary used to build her church (and she told St. Dominic that she would use them both to do so too!)

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

1. A group of you could do the 33 day consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary together

2. You could study the messages of the Marian and Sacred Heart of Jesus miracles, such as Fatima, Lourdes, Guadalupe, and the Lanciano Eucharistic miracle. I know little about Divine Mercy

3. You could volunteer with a pro-life group. My Alma Mater’s rosary group was very involved with the leadership of that!!

May you and your friends and myself and all who grace this thread and this post bring glory to the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary!! May the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary bless us with discernment, love, wisdom, courage, and holiness!!

I just wanted to thank you all for your advice.
We continued to meet all semester (and plan on keeping this group going). We chose to just do a book study among ourselves (it’s a book that reinforces our Catholic beliefs and gives us the knowledge and Bibllical defenses for our faith). We are going to try really hard to get some kind of Bible study and/or charitable work going for next semester and continuing on as long as possible.
Please pray for us as we finish out this crazy, stressful semester and that we might be able to be successful in defending and showing the Catholic faith in a positive light in the future.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.