Advice for daughter being teased about her faith

My daughter has just turned 9 and for the first time at the weekend she was in tears as her friends were teasing her about her faith. (they are non-practicing protestants I believe).

She always suprises me with the deepness of her own faith so I do not think she will turn away from it, but I would like to give her a verse or a picture or a token or something she can use for reassurance / support. Does anyone know of anything appropriate, or have any other suggestions as to how I can support her.?

Thanks

G

I think it would depend on the the issues they were teasing her over… sometimes you can cater the right verse or motivation based on the particular issue…
Also, depending on that issue, I’d work hard to discuss and go over the Catholic teachings on that particular subject… makes for easier rebuttals if she knows the teachings and can respond with strength.

Regardless… it sounds like you have a wonderful daughter… she’ll be in my prayers to endure through this trial.

It sounds like your daughter is being bullied.

As a victim of childhood bullying myself, I can tell you that such behavior stems from envy. Why pick on her unless it makes them feel better about themselves?

If I were you, I would first make her aware of the motivation of bullies. Then I would have her read Matthew 5:10-12. And, finally, I would advise her to pray for her persecutors.

I agree with her praying for the bullied.

Also, I think this would be an AWESOME opportunity for her to start to learn exactly how to walk with God. I am going to advise what I so desperatly WISH my mom had taught me

Explain that God gave everyone free will and He will NOT change their behaviour so praying ‘God make them stop’ will NOT work. Instead, teach her to pray ‘God, give me wisdom how to handle the situation. Should I say something to my defence or should I walk away, God guide me in my actions’

Teach her to pray for God’s comfort in the hard times. Teach her to pray for discerment ‘Do I forgive and continued to be their friend or do I forgive and choose to find other friends’

This is a serious issued and I am sure as a mom you just want it to stop ASAP. But that is not how life works and I think the younger someone learns to trust God in coping with life, the better

CM

BEAUTIFUL advice… :thumbsup:

Living in the south, I generally tell my very baptist friends (when they try to mock my faith) that “We had the crusades and the inquisition, which you CLAIM killed millions. Why in the world would you want to taunt a catholic and risk making me angry?”

That’s probably not going to work in this case. Instead, as other posters have said, teaching her to forgive, pray, and trust God is going to be your best road.

Oh, and the verse you are looking for is in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 5:
10 Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, 9 for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.
12 10 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

EDIT: There are a few fitting pocket tokens here:
catholicsupply.com/christmas/token.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.