Advice for me who has been away from the Church for too long

I don’t know if I am allowed to tell this sort of personal things here, please tell me if I need to remove this post. I am just too confused.

I have been away from the Church for 12 years, I am 25 now. I used to be in Heralds of The Gospel when I was 13, so I believe the Catholic Church is the only right one.
I believe I have been excommunicated in Latae Sententiae due to contraceptives. I am afraid to confess, it’s been a long time in the wrong path, I don’t know if I can remember everything I did and I can’t deny I still have some desire to live as I have been doing all this time. I am afraid that I will be instructed to immediately confess, but without proper examination of consciousness and desire to abandon all sin.

But deep down in my heart I know the right way is to go to the Church.

I feel so confused. Do you think I can simply approach a priest to ask for instructions? Do I need to go to the bishop? Do I need to have a full examination of consciousness ready before going?

I sincerely doubt you are “excommunicated”. However, if you want to return to the Church and receive communion, you need to confess and be absolved from your sins. In order to be absolved, you have to resolve to “sin no more and avoid the near occasion of sin”, in other words express the intent of not planning to do the sin again. If you are planning on just continuing to do the sinful thing, then your confession will not be any good and the priest may not give you absolution.

I recommend you make an appointment to speak with a priest.

I would make an appointment to meet with a priest and spend some time talking with him. He can put your mind at ease – for example, I don’t think you need to worry about being excommunicated – and help you find your way back. I have no doubt that this longing you’re feeling for the Church is coming from the Holy Spirit. Allow that longing to lead you back into God’s enbrace.

Thank you, my friends.

I will talk to a priest. I have been so afraid to do so for so long, but it seems the right thing to do. I must admit that I feel so nervous right now, but it feels reassuring to have somebody confirm that.
As I entered university, it kinda makes you feel wrong for being religious since everybody speaks bad stuff about believing in God there, and then makes you drift out of it. I really could only think of two catholic friends that are kinda close to me, there are so few catholic people there.

Welcome back!
No, contraception is not a sin for which one is excommunicated, but it needs to be confessed.
Whatever you did during your time away, the priest has heard it all before
:pray:t2::pray:t2::pray:t2: for you

The things you need to know when becoming a Catholic again is that God wants you to take up your cross and follow him. Even if that means doing what is right and rejecting the wrong. Also do not fall into the near occasion of sin, it is one of the worst things you can do. Pray to God that he give you the courage to deny yourself and follow him, even if that denies the pleasures of the flesh. Try your very best to not bend to the devil’s ways and temptations. If you are sorry for what you did than God will forgive you for it.

My DEAR friend in Christ,

Jesus is WAITING & WANTING YOU to cone on HOME; So Do it

Contraception. while a Mortal sin, does not cause a excommunication!

What I suggest you do [knowing that Jesus is on YOU’RE side; is to call the Pastor of the RCC nearest you, make an appointment and discuss your concerns. You WILL be amazed how gentle and loving he will be!

And do this ASAP!

Pray very much!

And I’ll be praying for YOU too.

Patrick

Do not worry! You’ll find that once you start coming to mass, going to confession, start having a conversation with Jesus, you will reach contentment and not confusion.

The first step of repentance, of giving up the harmful pleasures of the world, is at first a cross to bear. It is extremely important that you pray much during this time, as we cannot rely on ourselves alone. I have learned this the hard way.

I suggest picking up some books to read, like some of the works of the saints. (Saint Gemma, Saint Faustina, Saint Augustine, Saint Ignatius, Saint Therese, etc.) They give a lot of insight into the best way to live a Christian life.

If there is a Latin mass near you, I suggest attending. You might find that you like it.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.