Advice for ordering organic, grass-fed food?

Does anyone here order cheese or meat from farms with grass-fed cows? I am trying to make some healthy changes in my husband's and my diet, so I'd like to start ordering healthy meat and cheese. I'd just like to know if there are better sites or farms than others, and if anyone has some advice for me. Thanks!

At my local farmer's market, I can buy grass-fed beef from one of the stalls. Also, at some specialty meat shops it's become more available. Bison, if it's available in Texas, is also a good choice as it tends to be, (by the nature of the animal) free range and grass-fed.

I'd like to be more helpful, but I guess asking around in your community might be a start (farmer's markets, co-ops, etc.).

DH has been wanting to order some bison and ostrich for a long time. He found a place online....

At Whole Foods, a 1/2 pound of bison is $10! :eek:

I order grass fed beef and other meats from Slankers Texas Grass Fed beef.
His blog is a hoot, but a lot of good stuff mixed in. It is only the two of us and DH eats very little meat so I order about 50 lbs when the weather gets a bit cooler and it lasts until I get ready to go back up north.

since I can get free range poultry and eggs down here I now order only beef, but I am getting some of the wild salmon this year as well. He also has pork but I don’t eat much of that. Supplemented with venison and fish from friends who hunt and fish, I don’t have to rely much on supermarket meat.

slanker.com is the blog, and do take time to read the articles they are very informative’

texasgrassfedbeef.com/ is the site for ordering beef and other products

he is in Lubbock so it is overnight or 2 day shipping to the valley and there has never been a problem even in the hottest weather, but because it is shipped frozen it is best to make a large order to make it worthwhile.

[quote="sanctareparata, post:3, topic:250345"]
DH has been wanting to order some bison and ostrich for a long time. He found a place online....

At Whole Foods, a 1/2 pound of bison is $10! :eek:

[/quote]

At one butcher shop in my neighbourhood, ground bison comes on sale for $3.99 lb. (Cdn). As more people express a demand for it, it will become more available and the price will go down. And we'll support our farmers!

eatwild.com

this is the site that lead us to the farm where we bought our half cow and half pig that are grass fed and organic. It took some time researching on that site as it has TONS of farms listed, but it was worth the time! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.