Advice needed on NYC trip

I am chaperoning my sons trip to NYC and would like to visit a Church or Cathedral while there. Any recommendations?

St. Patrick’s!!!

Also, St. Peter’s down by the World Trade Center (the new building is going up now… pretty cool!)…

St. Pat's Cathedral is on 5th across from Rockerfeller Center and Sak's Fifth Avenue. If you walk a few blocks pass the Center you will be at Radio City Music Hall. So it is in the center of things. St. Pat's was built by Irish servants working in the city. I think the same architect built the Smithsonian. EWTN has a show on it.

If you want to see a beautiful Church that holds both TLM and NO, check out St. Agnes on 43rd (Archbishop Fulton Sheen Ave) between Lexington and 3rd - it is only a block or two from Grand Central Station. Also, the beautiful Franciscan Church on the East Side of Madison Square Garden - I think it sits between 33rd and 32nd but I could be off a block or two. I think it is St. John the Baptist (or maybe the Evangelist, or maybe not St. John at all!). I spent my years in NYC in Queens, so I’m not much help on Manhattan churches…

St. Patrick's is wonderful, but very busy.

Two weeks ago I went to mass at St. Ignatius on the upper east side.... it is beautiful.

stignatiusloyola.org/index.php/home/

St. Patrick’s is lovely to be sure, and you should see it because of it’s importance to NYC RC history. Nonetheless Saint Vincent Ferrer on the Upper East Side is more magnificent and ornate than St. Patrick’s It is the most beautiful church on Manhattan Island. The Armory up that way is worth a look, too.

Pax,

Chris

I'm a born and raised New Yorker! When I used to work in the Murray Hill area, my regular church was Church of Our Saviour (oursaviournyc.org/) on Park Avenue at 37th or 38th street.

St. Patrick's is an obvious destination, but go to one of the early morning Masses to avoid the noisy tourist crowds. The Blessed Sacrament is reserved in the Lady Chapel behind the altar. Have a great time in NY!

If you're taking in a show on a Saturday night, St. Malachy's on W. 49th between 8th Ave and Broadway has Mass at 11 PM. It's only a couple of blocks from Radio City. It's commonly known as the Actors' Chapel. You'll frequently see show people there (they're the ones who are casually dressed,) as well as theatergoers (they're the ones dressed to the nines!) When I danced with NYC Ballet, I went there to Mass after the Saturday night performance so I could sleep in on Sunday morning till ten.

Saint Patricks for sure. My family visited New York years ago. Before the towers fell.

I think you’re referring to the Padre Pio shrine, on 31st street at 7th avenue, which is run by the Capuchin brothers:

padrepio.us/

It’s a fascinating shrine, and the location and Mass schedule are extremely convenient for travelers.

There’s also the little commuter church, St. Francis of Assisi, at 135 W. 31st (close to Penn Station) if you’re in the area on a weekday. They hold plenty of daily am “express” masses as well as daily Exposition and Confession in the Lower Church. Quite close to the Padre Pio shrine, if I remember correctly.

Otherwise, I join the choir on St. Patrick’s :smiley:

[quote="ack, post:11, topic:239597"]
I think you're referring to the Padre Pio shrine, on 31st street at 7th avenue, which is run by the Capuchin brothers:

padrepio.us/

It's a fascinating shrine, and the location and Mass schedule are extremely convenient for travelers.

[/quote]

Yes, thank you. It appears I am overdue for a trip back to NYC!

[quote="Keran, post:1, topic:239597"]
I am chaperoning my sons trip to NYC and would like to visit a Church or Cathedral while there. Any recommendations?

[/quote]

Went to St. Patricks last Sunday on my trip. Brisk and shall I say, more like crowd control or lack of... Mass is 40 min tops. But it is a beautiful place but there is not time to walk around... they hustle you out to make room for the next group. There are 7 or 8 Masses on Sunday. Bishop Dalton was saying one or more of the Masses there that day, but I didn't attend one. If you can, go again when it's not so busy. I really is a pretty place.

If you happen to be in the Bronx, visiting the Bronx Zoo or the NYC Botanical Gardens, go to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel on E. 187th St, beautiful old Italian church, with great priests. Daily masses are at 9 and 5:30 with a rosary at 4 (if I remember correctly).

Then stop by some of the best pizza ever at the corner of Arthur and and 187th, Full Moon Pizza. :thumbsup:

Can you tell, I used to live in the area? lol

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.