Advice on anime

Hello,

I am new to CAF I usually just browse the threads, but I have a question concerning an anime series and I need some advice. I have some friends who really like the show naruto and have been telling me to watch it for awhile, however I have not found any Christian/Catholic reviews of it, and I have heard rumors that it is not very good from a Catholic perspective. So I was wondering if anyone has seen it or heard anything about it and what age it would be appropriate for. Thank you!!!

LiB

Eh, Naruto is just a "magical" type of anime. It's okay, but it tends to drag on and on indefinitely and it more annoying than anything, in my opinion. I'm rather picky, as far as that goes, with anime.

I would not suggest it for some catholic kids because of the themes (ex. naruto has a demon sealed inside him, which is where he gets his power). It's okay for entertainment value, but not for teaching Christian values. I consider it just a fictional mythology type story and it's portrayed as a legend.

As long as you don't come out believing that you have actual magical powers and housing demons in your own body is beneficial, you're fine. :thumbsup:

It’s hard to do Christian reviews of anime, since it comes from a country that is not Christian at all. I don’t like Naruto, but for older kids, it’s be ok I suppose. The fantasy elements are all very well removed from actual practices.

But it’s just,boooooring

[quote="shondrea, post:3, topic:190786"]
It's hard to do Christian reviews of anime, since it comes from a country that is not Christian at all. I don't like Naruto, but for older kids, it's be ok I suppose. The fantasy elements are all very well removed from actual practices.

But it's just,,,,boooooring

[/quote]

I have a friend that was born and raised in Japan who is Catholic and knows MANY Japanese Catholics. So to say the country isn't Christian at all is wrong:rolleyes:

Ok, my hyperbole went over your head. yes, there are Christians in japan, but they’re a hefty minority. Japan is known for it’s people largly not being religious at all, with Shinto and Buddhism taking majority.

most anime is based on asian myths, religion and fantasy so keep that in mind when you watch any anime, naruto is pretty cool but it does have martial art violence so i don’t recommend it for little kids but if you liked DBZ (dragon ball z) than you can watch naruto with no problem, they are very similar even tho i like DBZ over naruto 10 to 1. :thumbsup:

Japan has made some anime series based on bible stories like the Flying House, superbook, and history of the bible wich was shown on EWTN in the 90s and i hope they put it on the air again cause is high quality animation, check out some samples right here: youtube.com/watch?v=CHJTWzlScUA&feature=player_embedded

youtube.com/watch?v=zv5Lb-59-eA&feature=player_embedded

This may sound odd, but fantasy violence does not really bother me, I was more worried about Moral issues and inappropriate behavior, for example I saw one scene with a character called “perverted hermit”?? I wanted a Catholic opinion on how bad it got. :wink:

As for it being boring, thanks for the warning :thumbsup:

[quote="LiB, post:7, topic:190786"]
This may sound odd, but fantasy violence does not really bother me, I was more worried about Moral issues and inappropriate behavior, for example I saw one scene with a character called "perverted hermit"?? I wanted a Catholic opinion on how bad it got. ;)

As for it being boring, thanks for the warning :thumbsup:

[/quote]

From what I recall, the anime did not show too much inappropriate behavior.

There is some inappropriate subject matter shown. There is a decent amount of foul language for a show aimed primarily at early teens and younger. It is done for older groups as well, but it's major fan base is the younger age group.

The anime that has been dubbed in English is fairly mild. If you watch the more understandable, and less choppy original japanese language version you'd hear a little more of the swearing.

Alternatively, the manga is a little less monotonous...with far fewer random recaps.

The "perverted hermit" was Naruto's "trainer" in the story. He is a high level fighter, but he is a drunkard and a man who watches every woman that passes. There is a part of the story where he is in a bar, drunk, with several women sitting with him. He is also a bit of a "peeping Tom" on various random women throughout the story.

He decides to help Naruto only after Naruto catches his attention after Naruto successfully temporarily transforms himself to look like a nude blonde (yeah, it's weird).

It won't show the blonde as nude, but it shows "clouds" around Naruto.

Other than that, there is very little to worry about in terms of moral issues. It's a pretty cut-and-dry good guy vs bad guy type of action story.

Major objectionable material (as some catholics would describe it) would be:

[LIST]
]foul language
*]tasteless/ low class bathroom humor
*]inappropriate behavior toward women (excluding sex)
*]"magical jutsu" Buddhist based "magical technique", using specific words used to perform special fighting techniques
*]demonic possession and intended utilization of demonic powers from within Naruto
[/LIST]

**Naruto does not get possessed in order to use the powers of a demon. The townspeople, specifically his father, seal a demon within him to save the town from destruction from it. Naruto takes advantage of its powers for "good", which seems backwards, but it is actually a main premise of the series.

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:8, topic:190786"]
From what I recall, the anime did not show too much inappropriate behavior.

There is some inappropriate subject matter shown. There is a decent amount of foul language for a show aimed primarily at early teens and younger. It is done for older groups as well, but it's major fan base is the younger age group.

The anime that has been dubbed in English is fairly mild. If you watch the more understandable, and less choppy original japanese language version you'd hear a little more of the swearing.

Alternatively, the manga is a little less monotonous...with far fewer random recaps.

The "perverted hermit" was Naruto's "trainer" in the story. He is a high level fighter, but he is a drunkard and a man who watches every woman that passes. There is a part of the story where he is in a bar, drunk, with several women sitting with him. He is also a bit of a "peeping Tom" on various random women throughout the story.

He decides to help Naruto only after Naruto catches his attention after Naruto successfully temporarily transforms himself to look like a nude blonde (yeah, it's weird).

It won't show the blonde as nude, but it shows "clouds" around Naruto.

Other than that, there is very little to worry about in terms of moral issues. It's a pretty cut-and-dry good guy vs bad guy type of action story.

Major objectionable material (as some catholics would describe it) would be:

[LIST]
]foul language
*]tasteless/ low class bathroom humor
*]inappropriate behavior toward women (excluding sex)
*]"magical jutsu" Buddhist based "magical technique", using specific words used to perform special fighting techniques
*]demonic possession and intended utilization of demonic powers from within Naruto
[/LIST]

**Naruto does not get possessed in order to use the powers of a demon. The townspeople, specifically his father, seal a demon within him to save the town from destruction from it. Naruto takes advantage of its powers for "good", which seems backwards, but it is actually a main premise of the series.

[/quote]

About the above.

[LIST]
*]foul language: doesn't really bother me if used in the right context, sparingly, and to define what kind of character the person speaking is. If used too much, however, it bothers me/annoys me.

*]tasteless/ low class bathroom humor: If used like the above then I'm fine. I may even get a laugh out of it. If used too much, then I get very annoyed by it.

*]inappropriate behavior toward women (excluding sex): This bothers me, even if its used to define a character, but I use my feelings to essentially "dislike" a character.

]"magical jutsu" Buddhist based "magical technique", using specific words used to perform special fighting techniques: I usually look at this as if its a sort of technology or science that is neutral, as Chesterton has said (in one of his literary works). Its really too bad that, in works like *Bleach or Naruto or Dragonball Z, its just used TOO MUCH. What should be a mere skirmish between two people or two scouting parties should not take four or more chapters/episodes to compose.

]demonic possession and intended utilization of demonic powers from within Naruto*: MAJOR red flag, though if it shows the bad end result of using such powers then I'll accept it (like how Naruto's body cells age faster with each use if his Jinkuri(?) ability.
[/LIST]

I just thought I would give my two cents. :thumbsup:

First off, one thing about anime is that trying to view it with traditional Catholic/Christian presuppositions is a poor way to review it.

Here are the two common reasons why:

1. Japan is not a Christian country.
  2. The culture derives more from Shinto and Buddhism than any other religion.

Secondly, I’ll try to tackle the “toilet” humor specifically, which seems to be the main issue here. I actually find Jiraiya (a.k.a. Ero-sennin) to be extremely hilarious. Not in the fact that he’s a shameless pervert but in the way he always gets punished for it. The same can be said of Naruto. In fact, one of my favorite funny moments was this one.

Anyone who’s read/watched Shippuuden would be aware of the toilet humor that occurs before this but I seriously couldn’t stop laughing. XD

Thirdly, I have to say that the story is quite touching. Like all shounen, it promotes the values of friendship and teamwork. I don’t see anything anti-Christian about that.

P.S.

As far as the jutsus are concerned, let’s not turn this into another Harry Potter thread please? -.-;; We all know the huge difference between fantasy and reality.

I have to agree with most of what you said, Thank you DihydrogenOxide for the summery.

And excuse my ignorance, but what is a “Shounen”?

Shōnen (少年) is a japanese word that is defined as an age between elementary school and high school. In Japanese law it is a term used to refer to a person at an age range from the time they entered elementary school to the time they finished high school. (it may also be a person who has not yet reached 20.)
Shōnen is often used to refer to young males while Shojo refers to young females.

In manga or anime it is a genre which usually caters to a male audience roughly in the range of 10 to 18 years old. It’s common themes are often about overcoming obstacles through the virtues of love, friendship, teamwork and sacrifice. Shōnen manga/anime may range from fantasy, adventure, action, sports or comedy stories. Popular examples of these are Naruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, Slam Dunk, Love Hina, Code Geass, Gundam etc…

In contrast, there is shojo anime/manga which targets the young female audience. Stylistically, it has more flowery art. It usually centered on themes of romantic love and emotions. Popular examples of these would be Fushigi Yuugi, Nana, Pretty Cure, Honey and Clover, Vampire Knight, Sailor Moon etc…

Source: Wikipedia

Ahhh, I see. So from what I understand naruto is a show that promotes teamwork and friendship while overcoming obticles, it has some language, potty humor, special Nina powers, and some inaproprate behaivor towards women that gets punished. It also has fantasy violence and is suitable for teenagers and adults. Sound about right?

Well, I didn’t read what everyone else said, so I don’t know if I’m just repeating stuff, I hope that’s okay.

Anyway, I’m a sixteen year old catholic girl, and I’ve been watching the anime and reading the manga since I was about 12 or 13, It just so happens to be my favorite manga/anime and what turned me onto watching anime more than i used to. I don’t feel my religion is threatened by it, over the years I feel I’ve become more religious so I don’t think it will alter my beliefs if it’s had anything that states things differently than I believe.

I do understand not reading or watching something that doesn’t go along with your religion because I have stopped watching things if I become offended or something along the lines.

Naruto is pretty much about friendship, hard work and not giving up. A big thing in it is hard work vs born geniuses and which one makes you stronger. In the manga it states something along the lines of hatred being a chain thing, it shows the main character not wanting to create more bad and says forgiving someone of their wrong doings it better than getting even as it stops the chain of hatred on the spot. I hope this made sense, and hope that you enjoy the anime/manga if you choose to watch/read it.

If you decide to read/watch it, I’d recommend reading so that you don’t have to deal with filler episodes that the creator of the series did not make. Although I both watch and read it.

:]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.