Advice on conflicting advice - please!

When seeking resolution to a particular issue, I have received conflicting advice from different priests and members of the church. Does anyone have any advice on how best to resolve my issue? Should I just go with whoever has the answer that I trust the most? What about if I take advice of a particular priest and it turns out that the priest was flat out wrong about the church teaching on the subject? Am I responsible for any following actions based on the advice or am I “ok” because I trusted and followed the advice of a priest?
Thanks in advance!

Karen Anne

If you follow in good faith, but change if you find that the Church teaches differently – you do no wrong. Also, is it a BIG issue or a small-t tradition that is not part of official dogma.

In general, I feel we should be able to trust our priest. At the same time, we must continue our individual faith formation.

If it’s not too sensitive or personal an issue/question, you could also post it here, or in the Ask the Apologist’s forum, and someone will probably offer a source that you can trust, or offer some advice how to resolve the conflict between the people giving you conflicting advice.

The other thought is to share the conflict with the priest you trust the most, and ask for his advice/counsel on how you can resolve to really know the truth. He should be able to offer some sources for you to read.

If you want to pursue the matter on your own, I’m sure you will find some discussions of whatever it is here on Catholic Answers. For example, here are some threads on the Internal Forum:

Internal Forum-usually promoted by dissenters

Is my second marriage valid if an annullment was not performed?

Blessing a marriage but no annulment?

My husband is going ballistic - help!

This is a very good question! I think I would certainly be inclined to asking the priest I trust the most before I trusted info I obtained on here, mainly because there are so many conflicting opinions on here as well! And of course, there is always the Catechism to consult.

[quote=NightRider] And of course, there is always the Catechism to consult.
[/quote]

I don’t know why it takes people so long to realize that the Catechism has all of the answers people are looking for. If people have questions about something, the should use the Catechism as a first resort. Then if they are still confused, they should ask a preist to explain what the Catechism means with regards to the answer they find.

[quote=Karen Anne]What about if I take advice of a particular priest and it turns out that the priest was flat out wrong about the church teaching on the subject?
[/quote]

Consult the Catechism:

scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm

[quote=Allen537]I don’t know why it takes people so long to realize that the Catechism has all of the answers people are looking for. If people have questions about something, the should use the Catechism as a first resort. Then if they are still confused, they should ask a preist to explain what the Catechism means with regards to the answer they find.
[/quote]

Yes, quite true. I think some people get worried about their own interpretation of the Catechism, however, and in those cases, checking with the priest they trust the most is quite helpful.

[quote=Catholic2003]If you want to pursue the matter on your own, I’m sure you will find some discussions of whatever it is here on Catholic Answers. For example, here are some threads on the Internal Forum:

Internal Forum-usually promoted by dissenters

Is my second marriage valid if an annullment was not performed?

Blessing a marriage but no annulment?

My husband is going ballistic - help!
[/quote]

Thank you for the links you provided - they are quite helpful!
Karen Anne

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.