Advice on going to Eucharistic Adoration?

Hello,

I am not currently Catholic, but I am going to convert in a couple of years. I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be allowed to go so I could see what goes on during Eucharistic Adoration? I know many pray the Rosary, but I didn’t know what else they do during this time. Is there any way you could tell me? And do you think I should ask the Priest if it would be alright if I went, also?

Thank you so much! :slight_smile:

Dear thequietsinger (I love your username! :thumbsup:)

To put it in the simplest form: Adoration is simply a time for you to be with Our Lord. :slight_smile:

Some people pray the Rosary, or the Chaplet of the Divine Mercy, others read Scripture, others pray and meditate, and others just sit or kneel in His presence. :slight_smile:

Do what you feel led to do :slight_smile:

I personally love this little prayer-book: Holy Hour of Reparation, designed for use during Adoration. It has some of the most beautiful, moving prayers I’ve seen anywhere. :heaven:

Someone once said that Adoration is like “spiritual radiation therapy”. You can just sit and BE in His healing presence. “Come to Me, and I shall give you rest.” :slight_smile:

I also often think of Our Lord’s words “Could you not watch one hour with Me?” One of the prayers in the book I linked above speaks of this:

O my Sweet Jesus, I desire to spend this Hour with Thee, to console Thee, and to make some reparation by the love of my poor heart for the agony Thou didst suffer in Gethsemane. In that lone hour Thou wast forsaken, and the creatures, whom Thou didst create to love Thee, loved Thee not. The weight of all our sins pressed on Thee, and mine as well; and for the sorrow which I caused Thee then by my sins, I will endeavor
to repay Thee now by my love. Strengthen it, my Jesus, that it may in some small measure give Thee consolation.

I hope my ramblings have been of some help to you. :slight_smile:

:blessyou:

PS: No one will ask if you are Catholic, or question that you have the right to be there. All are welcome! :slight_smile: I have never even been baptized, and I still go to Adore our Lord. :slight_smile:

You don’t need permission to go to Eucharistic adoration! Like the previous poster said, that is your time with our Lord in the blessed Sacrament. People do different things. I just kneel and pray. I talk to Jesus and tell him what is on my mind. Kind of like prayer/conversing. You don’t have to spend the entire time kneeling though. Some people obviously cannot for various reasons.

Sometimes when the Sacrament is being put away, the Priest or Deacon or a lay person (if the Priest Or Deacon are not there) will come out and lead everyone in a few prayers and a song or two before the blessed Sacrament is put away. It should say in the missal under “Rite of Eucharistic Benediction” what everyone is praying and singing so you can follow along and know the responses.

You will like Adoration. I was going months before I got Baptized. I still go whenever I can.

I have gone in very many places in churches where there is Eucharistic adoration, and no one ever asked me any questions, let alone who I am.
Adoring the eucharist is a wonderful form of prayer.
This link has much information about it, including what people do then: www.valleynewslive.com/story/22626952/ordination-mass-preview-eucharistic-adoration

Yes, anyone is welcomed at Adoration!
I would love to read about your experience there.

Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is the best-kept secret in all of Christianity. The spiritual rewards can be immense. Miracles have occurred there. You might just check at your parish and see if they have a list of expected etiquette for adoration. Even though you may not yet believe it, just accept that the Lord is there - your Savior, but also your Judge. Normally, one genuflects upon entering and then takes a seat or kneels. There is holy water to cross yourself with near the entrance.

You may just sit and ponder Him, read scripture, pray or ask Him to reveal His presence. Normally, all is done in silence, unless an organized Rosary or Chaplet of Divine Mercy is scheduled.

As Fr. Benedict Groeschel of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal says, “Once you are aware that He is there, you will be changed.”

Two things, make sure that you double genuflect before sitting/kneeling down. (Double genuflecting is when you get on both of your knees and make the sign of the cross. You do this whenever The Eucharist is present and uncovered.)

And secondly, when you’re trying to adore Our Lord, and you get distractions, offer them up for the glory of God. If Satan’s trying to distract you, then he’ll stop, as he won’t want to do anything that would give Him glory. If the same distraction pops up a couple more times after you keep on offering it up, then it could be God trying to tell you something.

I really and truly look forward to the hour I spend at Adoration once per week. If it gets cancelled I am really sad. I love the quiet and very personal time with Jesus. If you are there at the “end” of the adoration time there will likely be prayers and singing. You should be able to find them in the missalette if there is one. And, don’t worry, I’m a quiet singer too. Sometimes it’s just me and the priest and I’m glad he carries the tune:):slight_smile:

@PrayPsalm51: I know what you mean :wink: There are very few people who will sing in this church. But hey, it’s up to them :yup:

Actually, this requirement was removed in the 1970s. If you think about it, the same reverence is due to Jesus in the Most Holy Sacrament whether in the tabernacle or out of it.

So the Church decided that logically it was a case of double genuflection for both situations, or single for both, And chose the latter.

Before this ruling, it had always struck me as odd that the priest only did a single genuflection after the consecration.

Crossing oneself is not prescribed either. I’m not saying that a double genuflection or crossing oneself is wrong, and of course, one should always fit in with local customs and not offend anyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.