Advice on Mission trips?

Hello:) I feel like God wants so much more from me. I have considered maybe He wants me to be a nun. With that thought I get caught up in so much anxiety and frustration. Like I feel more comfortable with the idea of God taking me out of this Earth and bringing me home to Heaven like...now !, then with the idea of God calling me to the religious life. (Not that I think it's bad, I think it's awesome...just not for me!!) Plus I am in a relationship and I think we are very good for eachother. So I know a good way to serve God more fully is doing mission trips!!! Does anyone have advice on how to get involved with that?

The Legion of Mary does mission trips.

PLEASE be sure to go with an organization that offers some preparation and post trip processing - I’ve served long-term in the missions and work with mission organizations for more than 30 years - NOTHING more important than being prepared individually - internally, emotionally, — my recommendation — go the the web site of Catholic Volunteer Network: catholicvolunteernetwork.org – being called to serve is not about following a whim - but following a call. We all have so many gifts that can be shared and so much to give - but the focus has to be in the right place - it is more about ‘who you bring’ - yourself, well prepared, flexible, with few expectations - than ‘what you do’ paint an orphanage, teach English, ---- feel free to send me an e-mail if you want any more input off the thread.

Because you are looking at so many things - vocation / being in a relationship / there is MUCH you are trying to discern - going on a mission trip IS NOT a tool for discernment. A mission is following a call ----

For discernment the tool I recommend above all others is the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola - more information here: ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/retreats/

[quote="4elise, post:3, topic:329551"]
PLEASE be sure to go with an organization that offers some preparation and post trip processing - I've served long-term in the missions and work with mission organizations for more than 30 years - NOTHING more important than being prepared individually - internally, emotionally, --- my recommendation --- go the the web site of Catholic Volunteer Network: catholicvolunteernetwork.org -- being called to serve is not about following a whim - but following a call. We all have so many gifts that can be shared and so much to give - but the focus has to be in the right place - it is more about 'who you bring' - yourself, well prepared, flexible, with few expectations - than 'what you do' paint an orphanage, teach English, ---- feel free to send me an e-mail if you want any more input off the thread.

Because you are looking at so many things - vocation / being in a relationship / there is MUCH you are trying to discern - going on a mission trip IS NOT a tool for discernment. A mission is following a call ----

For discernment the tool I recommend above all others is the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola - more information here: ignatianspirituality.com/ignatian-prayer/retreats/

[/quote]

So its probably not a good idea to go?

Sorry - I wish everyone could have this experience - serving our brothers and sisters in Africa, or Latin America — It is a very good idea to go - if you are feeling called to serve in this way - but if you are doing this as a tool of discernment - consider another tool perhaps?

To go - please find a program that provides some preparation – and on site support - and follow up to ‘process’ the experience.

I have seen some very well meaning people go to the missions unprepared and have a very bad experience - of course preparation alone does not guarantee success - but service in the missions can be life changing - fulfilling - and open our hearts to the world.

There are MANY lay mission programs — being of service does not mean only becoming a religious sister - which obviously doesn’t appeal to you - and God works through attraction - when we honestly ask God for direction he helps lead us through the doors that open and away from the doors that close -

My husband and I and our children served three years (many years ago) - and it is the pivotal experience in our lives - we are certainly better because of this - our children are better because of this -

Bless you in your desire to find God’s will in your life!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.