Advice on Telling Parents You're Considering Becoming a Religious

I don’t think I’ll tell my parents soon, simply because I have two and a half more years of college anyway, but I guess I just wanted to hear what some of y’all would say about telling your parents you wanted to become a religious. My parents are anti-Catholic.

1 Like

I considered becoming a priest or religious as a teen but decided not to, after I was married I considered the diaconate but did not apply. My parents did not like the idea but were Catholic so went along with it, but they wanted grandchildren through me and encouraged me to marry.

1 Like

I wouldn’t think on it too deeply. Just say it simply, such as “Mom, I’m discerning to become a religious sister/brother and really happy/excited about it”. That’s it. Smiling is a good idea.

You can of course reach out to your office of vocations and they can help you too.

Peace.

3 Likes

Luckily, as you say, you still have two and a half years of college left so that will give you time to decide and discern what the rest of your life will look like. Personally, I don’t like telling people about big changes coming up in my life until it is certain (or as certain as it can be). TBH, this is a very relatable post because I am in my second year of university. I’m studying English, which is the least vocational subject you can get, so I really don’t know what I want to do after university, but I have certainly thought about entering the priesthood. As for your parents, pray for the courage to tell them and trust in God that it will work out well for you.

Also, I saw you posted way back about Ash Wednesday and for some reason, I actually remember reading that post for advice on my situation (not identical to yours but similar). Best wishes

1 Like

I don’t see the point in telling them now. If they are going to be against it, you do not need to hear complaints until you decide and even then, only when you have a plan in motion.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.