Advice plz

Hi there, so I’m 16 and I need your advice on a few things. Some of this might belong to the spirituality forum. I really want to love Jesus with all my heart and be unattached to creatures. I have been contemplating the priesthood but also marriage. I feel so attracted to girls (which is normal I know) and feel like I want a girlfriend but still want to love Jesus with all my heart. What shud I do? Plz don’t tell me to speak to a priest because I’ve done that already. What does it mean to be detached? I fear that if I detach myself I’ll become depressed. I want to be happy and fulfilled but feel like I lack the courage to give my heart to Jesus. Right now I feel more attracted to marriage. I am weak, I want to love the Lord totally. Plus I have alot going on with school, study and homework etc. Any advice?? Also what shud I do as regards my attraction to girls, It’s very strong??? ( Not in a lustful way don’t worry). Thanks and God Bless… :o

Pray:

Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus, forgive my sins, all my wretched sins;
Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus, I believe but help me with unbelief;
Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus, I must decrease, you must increase;
Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus, make me a man, a true man of prayer;
Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus, I am nothing, you be my all;
Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus;
Thank you Jesus, I love you Jesus.

You are 16. There is a lot of time for you to discern your path. There are many ways to serve the Church, that do not necessarily end in priesthood. My advice to you is to continue to grow in the faith. There is so much to learn, read, and absorb in drawing closer to Jesus. Don't rush it. Do make certain that you show others your zeal for your faith. That is so important to your generation which is easily lost in the secular world. Catholicism is truly a never ending journey. My prayers and best of luck to you.

[quote="seanom, post:1, topic:297565"]
Hi there, so I'm 16 and I need your advice on a few things. Some of this might belong to the spirituality forum. I really want to love Jesus with all my heart and be unattached to creatures.

[/quote]

Not sure that these two things are mutually exclusive...

I have been contemplating the priesthood but also marriage. I feel so attracted to girls (which is normal I know) and feel like I want a girlfriend but still want to love Jesus with all my heart.

I'm a little concerned about your view of Love...Loving God above all else does not subtract from the ability to love another fully. I Love God and I Love my wife. There is no conflict or division involved.
Love multiplies Love, it does not divide...

What shud I do? Plz don't tell me to speak to a priest because I've done that already. What does it mean to be detached? I fear that if I detach myself I'll become depressed. I want to be happy and fulfilled but feel like I lack the courage to give my heart to Jesus. Right now I feel more attracted to marriage. I am weak, I want to love the Lord totally. Plus I have alot going on with school, study and homework etc. Any advice?? Also what shud I do as regards my attraction to girls, It's very strong??? ( Not in a lustful way don't worry). Thanks and God Bless.... :o

Place Jesus first in your life. That needs to be number one regardless....
Go ahead and date...Girlfriends are a nice thing and a good way to help you discern if you truly have a call to the priesthood or not. Even for a priest, having memories of dating can be a good thing in ministering to others who are.

As I said above...Love is not some finite commodity that that must be divided Love given is always multiplied. It grows...
As to the matter of detachment...I would suggest that you will be able to understand this batter once you have been on a few dates....:D

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.