Advice Required!

Peace of Our Lord Jesus Christ!
Hi you guys I'm Mark and I live in Bangalore, India. For the last couple of months with prayer I feel a higher calling to serve the almighty God! I have been looking into different orders. According to me I feel joining a Religious Order is the better than being a Diocese Priest. There are a lot of Religious orders out there. I would like some help to find out the major Religious orders which come directly under the Holy Catholic Church. Any information will prove to be useful.
In Christ,
Mark.

[quote="Qua, post:1, topic:271416"]
Hi you guys I'm Mark and I live in Bangalore, India. For the last couple of months with prayer I feel a higher calling to serve the almighty God! I have been looking into different orders. According to me I feel joining a Religious Order is the better than being a Diocese Priest. There are a lot of Religious orders out there. I would like some help to find out the major Religious orders which come directly under the Holy Catholic Church. Any information will prove to be useful.
In Christ,
Mark.

[/quote]

If God Wants you there...

Go to catholiclinks(.org); click on Mary, and then go to number 7 and click on religious orders, click on Men.

God bless you. I will pray for your discernment as well as your success.

Have a chat to your own priest. I’m sure he will be able to point you to monastic groups in your area.

I hope you succeed in your vocation. Please pray for my own success in mine (which is to the diocesan priesthood).

God bless you.

[quote="DexUK, post:4, topic:271416"]
Have a chat to your own priest. I'm sure he will be able to point you to monastic groups in your area.

I hope you succeed in your vocation. Please pray for my own success in mine (which is to the diocesan priesthood).

God bless you.

[/quote]

Religious Order does not necessarily mean Monastic. I do agree you should talk to your priest. There is also a site - vocationsplacement.org that can help get you contact names and numbers.

I would like to thank each one of you personally from the bottom of my heart! I will pray for you too! As St.Augustine said "To sanctify a sinner is a greater work than to create heaven and earth"

In Christ,
Mark.

How are the Capuchin or the Franciscan Friars of Renewal? Which is a more spiritual and a more active group with the community?

In Christ,
Mark.

[quote="Qua, post:7, topic:271416"]
How are the Capuchin or the Franciscan Friars of Renewal? Which is a more spiritual and a more active group with the community?

In Christ,
Mark.

[/quote]

It is not whether a community is good - it is whether a community is a good fit for you and whether you are a good fit for that community.

This site has a good list for the USA; I don't know about India.

vocationnetwork.org/

As for the Capuchins vs. the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal - the former would depend a lot on the province. But the ones I have known the Friars of the renewal seemed to live more of a contemplatie and penittential life while the capuchins were more dedicated to apostolate (both are good)

Have you ever thought of joining the Dominicans, they live a monastic life and also an apostolic life. Indoors for contemplation and outdoors for preaching. check them out.
All the best in your search

Hello! I wanted to join a community who is very spiritual and at the same time active in the sense serving and helping the least of our brethren and maybe even running a parish? Can you please suggest a few communities please!
In Christ,
Mark.

The Servites and the Mercedarians are mendicant orders, like the Capuchins you've already mentioned, but with a different spiritual focus that might resonate with you. (What you just described matches the Capuchins pretty well, to my ears, but I'm just throwing out some more ideas.)

A different type of life that you may consider are the canons regular, such as the Norbertines. They live a bit more like monks, chanting the office in choir, etc., but also go out and teach or do parish work.

Or on the more outward-oriented side, the Passionists and the Redemptorists are two very mission focused orders that are both rooted in a very deep spiritual tradition.

[quote="Qua, post:11, topic:271416"]
Hello! I wanted to join a community who is very spiritual and at the same time active in the sense serving and helping the least of our brethren and maybe even running a parish? Can you please suggest a few communities please!
In Christ,
Mark.

[/quote]

Mark,

One difficulty (for us In the states that is) is that we do not have access to the communities that are active in your country. If you begin with a priest in your area he should have listings of communities active in your area.

As part of your discernment process you would have to decide if you would want to join a community that serves only in your country or is international in which case (if you joined) you might end up serving anywhere that their community was based.

For instance Franciscans are international(organized in provinces.)

Missionaries of Charity are international (organized I believe in hemispheres)

You get the idea....I would actually combine both "searches" contact a priest,

(it is always nice to have someone to talk to) and also contact some orders directly.

blessings and I hope this helps a bit???

Sr Debbie

I was going through the internet when I came across the Bangalore Archdiocese home page which contained a list of Religious Orders in Bangalore. The following is the link to it : bangalorearchdiocese.com/?q=Religious_Society%20%E2%80%93%20Priests (It contains two pages so make sure you click the next page button). I was wondering which would be perfect for me? The vows of poverty are not taken seriously around here! I would like to join a community which is very spiritual as well as an active community! Which helps outs in parishes or maybe a part of it! It has the duties of diocese priest but is a Religious! Hopefully what I said makes sense! Please pray!
Thanking you,
Mark.

Thank you Sr.Debbie you have narrowed my search well! In my previous post I have put up link which gives a list of all the Religious orders in my locality. I would love to join an International community since it would provide an immense opportunity to meet other brothers and serve a larger crowd!
In Christ,
Mark.

You might try the following site:

deoestgloria.com/

It has a very good selection of Roman Catholic Religious Communities in different nations,
and India is one of them, as well as the USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and the Philippines. They recently added So. Africa & Holy See....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.