Advice

Hello, starting from November 2008 I have been in a dark hole religiously; mortal sin simply continued to pile and I felt at times empty and sometimes in deep dispair. About late January the worst of this darkness had gone, and I had dealt with the worst and habitual sins that plagued my essence. As of now I’ve simply kept going hoping to find the strength to believe that I could confess my sins without worry that I was truly sorry for what I’ve done. At this point I’m not sure if I deserve confession; I’ve been keeping most sin from recuring, all except anger at others when I see them flaunting their own sins without a care in the world.

Anyways the point of this thread is that I had let Lent go through my fingers and now I’m ten days in with the realization that I have done nothing. The major problem is I don’t know if I should do anything for Lent since I’m still struggling to return to regular prayer nightly. I have little vigor of either spirit or physical and even with full meals I feel unable to work my hardest in physically challenging classes like Weight Training; I had gone one day without a morning meal and ended up working at very low capacity in my morning weight training class.

To end this I know I’m making excuses to skip Lent but I don’t know what to do, especially since I have a pessimistic view on myself, others, and my relationship with God at this moment. Any comment at all would be helpful.

Hi :slight_smile:

A couple of things in response…

You mention that you fear you’re not sorry enough for your sins to go to Confession with them. It is not the ‘feelings’ that matter, it is the recognition that you have sinned, and the sincere intention to try not to sin again that is proof of repentance, and what is needed for absolution. God offers you the Sacrament of reconciliation because He loves you “and desires that all men to be saved”. (I Timothy 2:4)

Don’t trouble yourself about anger for others’ sins. “Do not judge others and you will not yourself be judged. Grant pardon and you will be pardoned. Give, and there will be gifts for you: a full measure.” Jesus says [Luke 6:36-38]

It’s not a matter of deciding whether or not you deserve it. You are not your judge, God is. We are required to trust in His mercy. You feel discouraged and angry with yourself. That’s not God’s position. Jesus says, “Come to me, all you that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” [Matthew 11:28]

It sounds as if you could be suffering a degree of depression, gives that everything seems dark, you are battling with anger, and you have very little energy. Consider that you may need to take more care of yourself. I wonder if you’ve been to a doctor lately to have yourself checked out for anything physical or whatever that is out of sync.

In consideration of Lent and the kind of penance, it may be best to refrain from any luxury foods or drinks as penance, and put yourself to the added penance of good and fresh healthy foods to try to restore both body and soul.

Anyway I must get ready for Mass just now…so I’ll pray for you there. Take care of yourself, Trishie

Umm, I think I see your problem. Lent hasn’t started yet - you haven’t missed anything! Rejoice! Did you misstate that, or am I misunderstanding you? Anyhow, when you’re fasting instead of skipping a meal just have a light meal or whatever you need to function. Give up sweets or something else instead, if need be. But anyways, Lent starts Feb. 25. That’s Ash Wednesday, a perfect time to go to Confession and have a new start. God bless.

Trust in God. A good book to read is Divine Mercy In My Soul.

The diary helped me and I am a wretched sinner, my friend! :slight_smile:

Umm, I think I see your problem. Lent hasn’t started yet - you haven’t missed anything! Rejoice! Did you misstate that, or am I misunderstanding you?

No I actually believed that Lent had already started on Feb. 2 :blush:

I was looking the time for Lent about yesterday without any real drive to make sure I had accurate dates; so when I was simply skiming through a wikipedia on Lent when I saw Feb. 2 2009 and thought immmediately “Oh no I missed ten days of Lent already!”.

I wonder if you’ve been to a doctor lately to have yourself checked out for anything physical or whatever that is out of sync.

I have not been to a doctor for a long time, even for a check up. Though I still feel like if I did go they’d find nothing wrong even if I myself feel someway less than at full capacity.

I really must thank you all and to be completely honest; your caring posts brought enlightening tears upon me. It’s recently been a more difficult day since I changed enviroments to my father’s house; temptation seems to push twice as hard now that I’m away from images that would usually help me overcome the day’s temptation. I wish I could post a picture of the cloth image I have hanging in my room back at my mom’s house; it is jesus covered in a white robe and hood overlooking Jeruselem with the words “O Jeruselem” at the bottom, it’s quite moving to me and has helped give me strength many times.

No, Lent has not started yet this year. Believe me, I live in a part of the world where Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday do not pass unnoticed and Lent sneaks up on no one. Even the non-Catholics around here know when it is Lent. Lent begins Feb 25.

Even so, do not despair. One of the best Lents that I ever had was one that I fumbled around looking for something to do. A week or two in, I decided that going to daily Mass a few times a week would be what I would do. That was truly one of the best things I ever did for Lent and continues to bear fruit to this day.

About deserving confession - none of us deserve the forgiveness that God gives to us. We can do nothing to earn his love or his mercy. He loves us and He meets us where we are at, because He desires that each one of us spend eternity with Him.

There are many things you can do for Lent that don’t involve depriving yourself of necessary food. Give up soft drinks or chocolate. Give up complaining or gossipping. Take up attending an extra Mass during the week. Resolve to pray your night prayers EVERY night. Say a decade of the Rosary. Pray before the Blessed Sacrament.

The suggestion to see a doctor is also a good one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.