Advise for writing fictional stories featuring figures from Christianity

What advise would you recommend to someone writing a fictional story about Christianity? How, if at all, should one write God and Angels in this story?

1 Like

Interesting question. Angels are a favorite poetry subject, from guardian angels to fallen angels to angels appearing to shepherds to less direct references and imagined angels. I usually research pretty meticulously for both poetry and fiction–I want to get facts straight, I learn something every time, I don’t have to cite sources because I don’t quote unless it’s public domain and–research is fun!
Stories featuring Bible figures is more problematic but as long as any theology is orthodox and it’s reverent, I don’t worry too much. We don’t know everything Jesus’ disciples thought or said, for example. And you can always make up a character or use a non-specified character, like one of Abraham’s followers or one of the Greeks on Mars Hill.
Hope this helps, just a little.

PM me if you like since because of flamers, I’m blocking all reply notifications for now, until I can suppress responses from said flamers (still figuring out how that all works).

1 Like

Don’t do things like Dan Brown.

1 Like

Be respectful, that’s a given. Also do your research don’t assume anything, be ready to answer any questions people may have about what you wrote. Good luck.

2 Likes

First, learn to write. Take a creative writing course, know and use correct grammar and punctuation, and read great literature to study style. Writing is an art and a skill.

1 Like

As an editor and writer, learning to write well takes time. Of course, we all start out as amateurs but the learning curve does not go away. Before taking a creative writing course, make sure it includes story structure, character development, and an analysis of the writing process in general. If it’s no rules and just do your own thing, you’ll be wasting time.

Research, even in writing fiction, is very important. Getting the details right will matter to your readers and you’ll likely learn new things along the way. Using figures from Christianity can be tricky. It has to have a premise that treats the subject(s) respectfully, and I suggest the final draft be reviewed by someone who knows Christian history or even a priest.

2 Likes

Workshop courses are good. Most of the course in my MFA program were workshop format.
Revisiov, revision, revision, whether you incorporate the feedback you’re given or not.

I’ve muted all response notifications. Still see likes though. Nice PMs always welcome. Have a nice day!

“are” more problematic, lol.
Good example of why even submission notes should be grammatically error-free.

BorninMarch you haven’t said how much writing experience you have, or the length of the work you’re contemplating?

“The Catholic novelist doesn’t have to be a saint. He doesn’t even have to be Catholic. He does, however regrettably, have to be a novelist.” --Flannery O’Connor

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.