Advise needed about wife beliefs

Little backward:

I was baptised Methodist as an infant. I went to Catholic elementary school so all I really know is Catholic life. I decided to go through RCIA to make it official and I want to baptize my kids Catholic and I want our family to be whole. My wife is also Catholic and went to Catholic school.

I am going through RCIA to understand the Bible and Jesus’ teachings more because we put my son in Catholic school and I want to be able to answer questions he might have from Religion class.

My problem is that my wife has a problem with the Catholic church stemming from her sisters issues with the Catholic church. It appears the main issue is with the Pope and the extravegance surrounding him. My wife doesn’t think I should be so focused on being “Catholic” and be happy just praying to God and following Jesus. The problem comes when I asked her what did Jesus teach? She says “you know love and be nice”.

So, any opinions? I just want to learn more about God and Jesus and be a good role model and not a hypocrite to my kids. There is a “Center” of religious studies by our house that has a Mass where they teach all religions and love and be good. She keeps bringing that up but I believe that the Catholic Mass is the most perfect ceremony to attend to thank God.

Sorry, I’m venting.

Thanks,

When you stand before God upon your death, you stand before God as an individual soul responsible for your own choices.

Your wife’s objections and understanding of the gospel seem vague, and more based on prejudice than upon solid fact. You aren’t obliged to tie yourself to your wife’s beliefs, but to act as a sincere and authentic Catholic husband. The fullness of Jesus’ promises and of His sacramental gifts are in the Catholic Church, and it’s His desire, His word, his gifts, that matters beyond human opinions.

If you choose to be Catholic, then be quietly convicted, not combative, as the truth will speak for itself in the end through your quiet, unwavering Catholic living out of the gospel and the Sacraments. If you argue the point a lot you only invite further confusion and argument, so just be steady, quietly respectful, and Christian in how you live your Catholic life, and only enter the discussion when you can back it up with scripture.

“Have nothing to do with the pointless philosophical discussions and antagonistic beliefs of the ‘knowledge’ which is not knowledge at all; by adopting this, some have gone right away from the faith. Grace be with you.” [1 Timothy 6 20-21]

"Be happy at all times; pray constantly; and for all things give thanks to God, because this is what God expects you to do in Christ Jesus. Never try to suppress the Spirit or treat the gift of prophesy with contempt; think before you do anything—hold on to what is good and avoid every form of evil. May the God of peace make you perfect and holy; and may you be kept safe and blameless, spirit, soul and body, for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. God has called you and He will not fail you…The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.” [Thessalonians 4:14-24, 28]

[quote="BV_in_CA, post:1, topic:184680"]

My problem is that my wife has a problem with the Catholic church stemming from her sisters issues with the Catholic church. It appears the main issue is with the Pope and the extravegance surrounding him. My wife doesn't think I should be so focused on being "Catholic" and be happy just praying to God and following Jesus. The problem comes when I asked her what did Jesus teach? She says "you know love and be nice".

[/quote]

Go to this thread entitled "Is the Vatican rich?"
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=399529

I have made some LENGTHY comments analyzing almost every argument on the subject, starting at post #10. Hopefully, this will help!

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.