Advocacy groups, district debate transgender athletes

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - The Haines School District and a nonprofit Christian advocacy group are at odds over a transgender competitor at the state track meet in Anchorage.

Nattaphon Wangyot, 18, represented Haines High School in the women’s 3A 200 meter race in Anchorage on Saturday, causing some to question whether it’s fair to allow a student who was born male to compete against biological females, KTUU-TV reported (bit.ly/1UcY7J0 ). Wangyot, who was born male but identifies as female, placed 3rd in the competition.

Last month, the Alaska School Activities Association voted to accept schools’ individual policies when it comes to sports participation. ASAA Executive Director Billy Strickland said that determination is not appealable and that his association will not make the gender-identity determination itself.

m.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/29/advocacy-groups-district-debate-transgender-athlet/

This is an interesting area of law, because for all the arguments about how gender is just a social construct, one thing can’t be denied – males and females are different biologically and those differences play out in muscle mass, height, and other factors that can influence athletic competition.

The Olympic guidelines allow transgender athletes to compete in the gender with which they identify only after sex reassignment surgery and two years of hormone therapy. I guess that’s to level the playing field? The idea being that after two years of female hormones, a biological male transgender athlete will be more equal to the other elite female athletes than to the male athletes.

Probably that standard can’t often be met in high school sports, though…

So I assume this goes the same way for a female to male reassignees? So male athletes are banned from use anabolic steroids, but a female that identifies as male is required to have been taking artificial steroids before being able to compete. Isn’t this unfair to male athletes that have low testosterone levels? Doesn’t it give trans female athletes an advantage over a certain population of males who have lower levels of certain hormones as their levels can be tailored to achieve a certain bio profile?

Perhaps we should just get rid of sexual dimorphism in sports and simply go by bioprofile. You get tested for various physical characteristics and are classified by muscle mass, body fat, hormone profile, build, et cetera into a double handful of non-gender related categories. Seem the only way to be “fair and equatable” to those who’s physical reality doesn’t match their mental fantasies. I guess you could always allow someone to compete in a “higher” class like we could wrestle in a higher weight class when I was in high school.

He got beat by 2 girls?..:wink:

How far will we go? Does anyone think these things through to the end?

Nattaphon Wangyot?? Really - that’s someone’s real name?? That alone makes a great story.

I suppose so. She was born in Thailand, and two years ago immigrated to the US under her mother’s sponsorship.

adn.com/alaska-news/2016/05/27/transgender-student-in-southeast-alaska-sets-her-own-path/

If there is no real biological difference between the sexes why would we have females competing only against females or a total lack of female to male transgender athletes reaching anything near elite status? The vast majority of people interested in athletics know there are biological differences, but many remain silent rather than be labeled as bigots. Having men compete with women in any sports involving physical contact would be disproportionately dangerous to women. Knee injuries and concussions are particularly high for women already. I don’t foresee many caring parents willing to sacrifice their daughters to political correctness.

Sadly, MMA is already dealing with this; Fallon Fox. A man had reassignment surgery as a woman, and competes with women in MMA. Seems a bitttt unfair.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallon_Fox

I agree with you. Isn’t that why male and female sports are typically sex-segregated?

As for transgender athletes, I wonder if it is possible to assess whether any given individual would have an unfair advantage (or pose an injury risk) to his or her competitors? What would be the relevant criteria?

In the case of Nattaphon Wangyot, her height is 5’ 8", which is taller than the average high school girl, but not outlandishly taller. (5’ 4" is average.) Wangyot weighs 140 lbs, which is right about what a girl her height should weigh. (A guy with the same build would be considered slightly underweight.)

I guess Wangyot has been taking female hormones, and related drugs to block male hormones, for two years. Is that long enough to eliminate any muscular advantage she may have had before starting treatment?

The logical progression (regression) of this is that they will do away with separate male and female sporting events and just combine everything into unisex events.

If there is no real biological difference between the sexes why would we have females competing only against females or a total lack of female to male transgender athletes reaching anything near elite status? The vast majority of people interested in athletics know there are biological differences, but many remain silent rather than be labeled as bigots. Having men compete with women in any sports involving physical contact would be disproportionately dangerous to women. Knee injuries and concussions are particularly high for women already. I don’t foresee many caring parents willing to sacrifice their daughters to political correctness.
[/quote]

I would completely agree, but today’s society is so royally screwed up that they accept that a mental delusion somehow changes biological reality. I think we have become so urbanized that people are completely divorced for the reality of nature.

Thailand is known for it’s Ladyboys.

bangkok.com/magazine/ladyboys.htm#promo

This is part of the Thai culture.

It is not just muscular advantage. Males, by virtue of their physiology (larger hearts and lungs) have higher oxygen volume usage while running (they can pump more oxygen to their muscles), thus giving them a cardiovascular advantage. In some (many) sports they have skeletal advantages, not just in height, but specifically in the hips and shoulders over females. In skiing, both downhill and nordic, men’s ankle joints are more flexible, letting them achieve a deeper tuck and better technique down the hills. Women try to compensate with heel cups in their boots, but they suffer more injuries to their lower leg as a result. These are things that neither hormones nor surgery will change. All this will do is push women out of sports, specifically at a time when being athletic, active, and part of a sport is very beneficial (high school).

If he got beat by two girls he probably couldn’t even compete with the guys. How many guys that want to play sports, but aren’t good enough to compete on the guys team are going to decide they identify as girls? Maybe when the girls start losing to boys dressing/acting like girls enough people will see the idiocy to all of this.

How do you feel about vice versa? A girl who thinks she’s a boy playing on a boy’s team? Or competing against boys? Because that is happening too.

Yes, in my highschool, a girl was on the wrestling team because of title IX. In these instances the girl has no physical advantage (though maybe psychological advantages?). I would say, in a contact sports, (after elementary school) girls and boys shouldn’t play together. Non-contact sports I don’t really have a problem with, though girls might excel early on because the mature faster, they will eventually fall behind. The girl little league pitcher, I think that is fine. In most individual sports, girls would choose to compete separately, because they just wouldn’t be able to compete on an individual level. (Swimming, running, skiing, even tennis, wrestling, and others). Sports like basketball and volleyball have different ball or hoop/net heights. It really only comes into play for spots that are male only (like football, baseball, and wrestling). Now, if someone is taking testosterone, I don’t think they should be competing.

usatodayhss.com/2016/illinois-transgender-freshman-finds-acceptance-on-boys-lacrosse-team

This girl transitioning as a boy is playing lacrosse on an all boys team.

I think those are good points. So perhaps only individuals who began hormone blocking treatment during the onset of puberty (which is controversial) should be permitted to participate in a sport while transgender?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.