AFRICA/EGYPT - Professor of al-Azhar University: If the veil is banned, we must also ban the wearing of the cross

Cairo - If laws ban Muslim women from wearing the full veil , at that point, to avoid discrimination, we must also ban Christian women wearing necklaces with crosses. This - as reported by the Egyptian media ? is the controversial comparative argument put forward in recent days by sheikh Ahmed Karima, a Sunni professor of al-Azhar University, to defend the use of the niqab by the growing mobilization of Egyptian organizations that are calling for the abolition in public places. In February, such campaigns achieved significant success, with the ban on wearing the full veil imposed on all women who work in the University hospital of Cairo.
According to scholar Karima, known as the Islamic Law expert , such campaigns are an expression of a planned strategy put in place to hit the Islamic traditions of the Country, which risks fueling extremist reactions by radical Islamic groups. According to the sheikh, an eventual ban on wearing the full veil imposed by law to Muslim women should have in consideration the ban for Christian women to wear the cross.
For weeks, the scholar and other Islamic leaders are launching the alarm about the spread of “secularist” tendencies in Egypt which in their opinion aims to outlaw everything that expresses their belonging to Islam. Sheikh Karima reiterated that, in his view, the so-called “renewal of religious discourse”, wished for several times in Egypt also by President Abdel Fattah Sisi, will certainly not lead to the abolition of what is required by the Sharia, because Egypt is an “Islamic country” and “Islamic rituals must be respected”.

Full article…

I think they already did this in the schools of France. No veil, no cross.

I think wearing a cross is very different from a full burka with only the little eye slit.

I think it would be appropriate to ban the full burka with the little eye slit for obviously very practical reasons, while at the same time allowing various kinds of burkas that still allows the face to be visible and obviously crosses and things too.

They are not in the same category in order for him to make such a claim.

Google the article/essay “Saudis in Bikinis”. It opened my eyes to something I hadn’t thought of before. That said, I feel like they should have the option to not wear burkas, but we shouldn’t force them not to. Same goes for cross jewelry; it’s our right to wear it, but we shouldn’t be forced to wear or not wear it.

But for practical reasons, you can’t have one wearing a full burka with just the eye slit and expect them to have photo identification etc. There are many versions of the burka I believe and the one with just the eye slit is taking modesty to the utmost extreme (I would be tempted not to call it modesty at all) and I think is wrong and inappropriate.

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

A coss can be worn and not even visable to other people.

Ahhhh, I hadn’t thought of that. Good point, I see what you mean! Yes, I think that’s almost a hypocritical modesty. “I won’t let you see ANYTHING of me”, kinda like hiding one’s light under a bushel basket. Doesn’t mean you should leave it out in the elements to blow it out, but don’t hide it. :slight_smile:

I have Egyptian friends who say they don’t dare wear the cross in public over there. One of them married a Thai woman and she was told never to wear the cross on the outside of her clothes or it would be ripped from her neck.

When people arrive in a place where the culture and customs are very different - it is required that some conformance or assimilation is only sensible - unless, of course, it poses harm or greatly offends the people. Wearing a covering that hides the appearance, as in a mask, is not acceptable in the United States. Other countries may have differing tolerances.

The USA has always accepted that covering one’s recognizable facial features usually causes suspicion of wrong doing. Some exceptions like wearing a medical mask are not immediately a cause of concern. It would depend on what behavior an individual is doing.
Yes - we profile. Yes - it is common sense. - Yes - it will continue. Yes - it is a part of everyday life among other people. Yes - we have freedom of religion, speech, and the right to bear arms. Yes - we prefer this to any other form of government.

I guarantee you that if I put a nylon stocking over my head and walked into a place of business - it would not be acceptable.

I was unware the US governed in Africa or Egypt. The US has had plenty of struggles with religious intolerance in its own history has it not?

I am speaking of people who come to the United States - I’m not speaking for other lands.

Identify during or after a terror attack has been carried out by a man hidden in the black draperies of women (as example).

Then you are speaking of something tangentially related to the OP. I personally don’t see the point in banning either the hijab or wearing the cross or any other religious symbol. It feeds populist outlooks wherever it is done but rarely ever accomplishes much more.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.