African Anglicans will never accept gay marriage, vows senior Church leader

I admire the archbishop for voicing his opposition to what has become acceptable in Western society.

christiantoday.com/article/african.anglicans.will.never.accept.gay.mariage.vows.senior.church.leader/93332.htm

:thumbsup:

And they don’t have to.

I doubt many gay couples lose any sleep over this.

Good for them!

Africa rocks!

Amen!

By allowing the heretical western churches to remain in the Anglican Communion, they already have accepted it.

On the positive side, due to their decision the Catholic Church now has 2 new members (me and the Mrs.):D.

They need to come home

It’s worth remembering that the US Episcopal Church is the only Anglican province to allow same-sex marriage and they were barred by the rest of the Anglican Communion, so I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

Misinterpretation blinded by the obsession over ecumenicalism.

How about simply making jurisdictional observation about another church’s governance? Although, I do think it worthy of a “fuss,” and a kudos to the African Anglicans. :slight_smile:

The Anglican Church of Canada also performs same sex weddings.

For three years. Once they come back they’ll keep voting on it over and over again until they get the answer they want.

Actually the Anglican Church in Canada also performs same sex marriages now after their most recent convention.

lifesitenews.com/news/canadian-anglicans-approval-of-same-sex-marriage-far-from-unanimous

And the Church of England is supposedly working toward the change as well at a later date. And the Anglican Church in South Africa is in discussions to begin blessing same sex unions as of this month.

Also the Episcopal Church was not “barred”. They were suspended from active participation in the ACC and a few Ecumenical bodies. Nothing more. The Episcopal Church is still a full active member of the Anglican Communion. Only a Lambeth Conference could change that.

Ultimately however no one is asking the African provinces that don’t want to bless same sex unions to do so.

Oh, I do think it’s worth recognizing them for their stand here, but I’m speaking of all of this talk about how Protestants “need to come home.” Maybe everyone should come home to the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria? :shrug:

Actually the Anglican Church in Canada also performs same sex marriages now after their most recent convention.

lifesitenews.com/news/canadian-anglicans-approval-of-same-sex-marriage-far-from-unanimous

The Church of England is supposedly working toward the change as well at a later date. The Anglican Church in South Africa is in discussions to begin blessing same sex unions as of this month. And the Scottish Episcopal Church synod voted to allow gay marriage and the SEC will be holding their final vote on it next year.

Also the Episcopal Church was not “barred”. They were suspended from active participation in the ACC and a few Ecumenical bodies. Nothing more. The Episcopal Church is still a full active member of the Anglican Communion. Only a Lambeth Conference could change that.

Ultimately however no one is asking the African provinces that don’t want to bless same sex unions to do so.

And a topic for another thread. :slight_smile:

Under the legislation permitting gay marriage in England, it’s actually illegal for the Church of England (and the Church in Wales) to perform gay marriage, uniquely among the Christian churches in the UK. Interestingly this restriction doesn’t apply to the Scottish Episcopal Church.

I should have qualified my use of the word barred to mean barred from participation in the ACC and in any decision making.:

*Recent developments in The Episcopal Church with respect to a change in their Canon on marriage represent a fundamental departure from the faith and teaching held by the majority of our Provinces on the doctrine of marriage. Possible developments in other Provinces could further exacerbate this situation.

The traditional doctrine of the church in view of the teaching of Scripture, upholds marriage as between a man and a woman in faithful, lifelong union. The majority of those gathered reaffirm this teaching.

It is our unanimous desire to walk together. However given the seriousness of these matters we formally acknowledge this distance by requiring that for a period of three years The Episcopal Church no longer represent us on ecumenical and interfaith bodies, should not be appointed or elected to an internal standing committee and that while participating in the internal bodies of the Anglican Communion, they will not take part in decision making on any issues pertaining to doctrine or polity.*

I interpret the “never” as an expression of the intensity of feelings on the matter. Though I question the ability of any one person to speak for the feelings of an entire group and future generations. There have been regions and groups that have largely become accepting of many things that previous generations in their group did not. Only time will tell.

True, for groups that can vote moralities in an out of their faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.