After 4 years I finally confessed

After much seeking of my soul and getting things in order, I finally make amends to go to confession.
I went across town to a parish I’ve never been to or a priest I didnt know. He was nice enough to accomodate a person as myself.
The so called room was just a cut out square on the wall in the main church, anyone walking past would have seen me, but I did not care.

I either have a problem with a scrupulous and self critical nature or the world seems lax to me.
The priest himself saw none of my mortal sins as reason to abstain from communion:eek:

My penance was 5 ‘Our Fathers’ saying this prayer is a delight for me, so how is this viewed as penance?
I was under the impression penance was tasks to perform that were of duty or chore.

I am very appreciative what he did to accomodate me, he was to be waiting for any up to 30 mins just for me. He was gentle and compassionate. It is just that he thinks my mortal sins were not reason to forego the Eucharist, when in fact I know different or so I think:confused: I was guilty of sacrilege more than 5 times.

I am just going to suck up my anxiety and go behind the very transparent curtain at the catherdral and make it frequent.

Thankyou to everyone who supported me in this and God bless you.

Congrats! It’s always a great thing when people go to confession and reconcile with God.

Now that you’ve received absolution, put all those sins out of your mind and with a firm resolution to avoid sin and stay in God’s grace, go forward and receive the sacrament of communion. You’ve been forgiven. Move on. God has forgotten your transgressions, given you mercy, and reconciled you to Him. Enjoy that, enjoy His grace and mercy, and do not doubt His love for you. Don’t worry about the severity of the penance, don’t judge what the priest has said to you. Just go with it and try to relax and allow God’s grace to do its work.

God bless you!

Great job, Shae. Are there any better words than " I absolve you from your sins" ? By receiving the sacrament of penance regularly you can continue to receive the graces you need to persevere. Keep it up. Lent is a great time to experience God’s mercy. And after Easter we can do the Divine Mercy. Remember that the good thief confessed his sin to Jesus while on the cross and Jesus responded: “this day you will be with me in paradise.” Lk:23:43.

Ishii

The penance you receive in confession is to help you “clear away” the effects of sin. While “chores” such as works of charity are good, prayer is the best penance of all.

We should not worry ourselves about what the priest gives us as penance, unless he asks us to do something that we either do not understand or that seems far too difficult. In that case, we should ask him to explain the penance to us, or to substitute something else.

Opus Dei priests never give big penances (usually only one Hail Mary or one Memorare, or one Spiritual Communion) because they undertake penances for all who have confessed to them.

Confession is such a wonderful Sacrament, it is such a pity that so many do not benefit from it. Let’s all say a prayer for people to return to regular Confession.

Congratulations and welcome Home!!

I either have a problem with a scrupulous and self critical nature or the world seems lax to me.
The priest himself saw none of my mortal sins as reason to abstain from communion:eek:

My penance was 5 ‘Our Fathers’ saying this prayer is a delight for me, so how is this viewed as penance?
I was under the impression penance was tasks to perform that were of duty or chore.

As mentioned above the “penence” given in confession is normally not the real “work” but is actually more of a way to reflect and store up grace and energy for what is the real work…Overcoming sin in the future…:thumbsup:

I am very appreciative what he did to accomodate me, he was to be waiting for any up to 30 mins just for me. He was gentle and compassionate. It is just that he thinks my mortal sins were not reason to forego the Eucharist, when in fact I know different or so I think:confused: I was guilty of sacrilege more than 5 times.

Well - If you are struggling with scrupulocity, the priest’s advice might provide you with a counterpoint…Something to balance your harshness of yourself against. So do give it prayerful consideration.

I am just going to suck up my anxiety and go behind the very transparent curtain at the catherdral and make it frequent.

Thankyou to everyone who supported me in this and God bless you.

God Bless you abundantly.

Peace
James

:stuck_out_tongue: Hi, just be careful not to build a monument out of this and take laps around it in remembrance of it.

Love, :slight_smile:

Confession,absolution and penance are one of the most beautiful and generous gifts we Catholics enjoy! if only we could realize that, we would go more often. Your sins have been forgiven. Thank God and try not fall again , at least not into that particular sin. Don’t worry about the nature of penance given. Remember the parable of the prodigal son, his father ran to meet him when it was obvious he had returned home.Somehow, i feel this might be what happened here. Our, father knew how much you sorrow felt, and gave you priest that didn’t scare you away or was too critical. He probably knew what you really needed to hear most was that your sins have been forgiven. God bless.-]/-]

Evry time i think i should be treated harshly i am not. sometimes when i think my burden is light, i am given a greater penance. Jesus, i trust in you.

peace

Excellent!!! Partaking in this Sacrament is AWESOME! Hearing those words at the end - “I absolve you…” Nothing else like it.

There is a great group here on CAF dedicated to helping people with scrupulosity. forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=454 Perhaps pay them a visit.

As others have posted, penance is not work or a chore. Perhaps, if you feel that saying the Our Fathers were not enough, perform an act of charity such as volunteering at a food bank in honor of the forgiveness you have received.

That’s what CAF is for - teaching, support, guidance! Be inspired that you have been forgiven of all those sins, regardless if you thought they were mortal or not. The best thing that happened was that you WENT to confession and have come back home!

YES!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.