After an annulment, will the Church recognize our vows?

My wife and I are beginning the process of RCIA. I am a born protestant and she was an athiest when we married. She has since accpeted Christ and we have both begun a journey in the Catholic church. We were both married before, so we realize we need an annulment. If granted an annulment, would we need to renew our vows within the Catholic faith? We were married in a civil ceremony over 10 years ago.

Thank you for your time and insight. This journey of seeking and finding the Catholic faith has been exciting for us both.

Hi,

If your former marriages are annulled, then your vows would be accepted as valid by the Catholic Church which ordinarily recognizes the marital vows made by non-Catholics.

Note, you will not be allowed to make a profession of faith in the Catholic Church until both of the previous marriages are annulled. If you have further questions, feel free to contact me privately by clicking on my name above.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.