After Attacks on Muslims, Many Ask: Where Is the Outpouring?

NY Times:

After Attacks on Muslims, Many Ask: Where Is the Outpouring?

The global mood increasingly feels like one of atavism, of retreat into narrower identities of nation, politics or sect, with Britain voting to leave the European Union and many Americans supporting the nativist presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump.The violence feeds a growing impulse among many in the West to fear Muslims and Arabs, which has already prompted a political crisis over immigration that, in turn, has buttressed extremists’ goals. Europe is convulsing over a movement to reject refugees from Syria and Iraq, who are themselves fleeing violence by jihadists and their own governments.

It is in Syria and Iraq that the Islamic State has established its so-called caliphate, ruling overwhelmingly Muslim populations with the threat of gruesome violence. The group has killed Muslims in those countries by the thousands, by far the largest share of its victims.
When Islamic State militants mowed down cafegoers in Paris in November, people across the world adorned public landmarks and their private Facebook pages with the French flag — not just in Europe and the United States, but also, with an empathy born of experience, in Syria and Iraq.

But over the past week, Facebook activated its Safety Check feature, which allows people in the vicinity of a disaster to mark themselves safe, only after the attack on the Istanbul airport.
The flags of Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Bangladesh have not been widely projected on landmarks or adopted as profile pictures. (Photographs on social media showed that in Bosnia and Herzegovina, one of Europe’s two majority-Muslim countries, the Turkish flag was beamed onto a bridge in Mostar, the scene of sectarian killings in the 1990s.) Some wonder if part of the reason is that three of those flags bear Islamic symbols or slogans.
“More deaths in Iraq in the last week than Paris and Orlando combined but nobody is changing their profile pics, building colours, etc.,” Kareem Rahaman wrote on Twitter.

Actually I was surprised last week that there was no sympathetic reaction to the attack in Turkey at least.

Well, speaking only for myself, I felt sickened by the senseless violence in Turkey, Iraq and Saudi Arabia last week. I don’t know what was “accomplished” in the minds of the suicide bombers by their violent actions. I suppose I am also somewhat inured to the violence because A. it’s far away B. it’s involved lots of people (the paradox that it’s harder to grieve for many than for a few and C. the Middle East (not Turkey however) is a violent part of the world, and much of the violence appears to be motivated by hatred and intolerance between different sects of Islam, so it’s hard for me to comprehend. Nevertheless in the footage of the Istanbul airport bombing I saw a woman’s lifeless body sprawled out on a curb and I felt really, really pained.

I think you can only be shocked and horrified so much, then you get numb.

Attacks in France, Belgium, and the USA are very rare, so they get 24 hours of news coverage. Plus, many people can feel a personal connection with those place, as they either live there, have traveled there, or know people who have. It’s harder for the average insulated American or European to envision Iraq, Lebanon, or Syria.

It isn’t that nobody cares; it just doesn’t register with the same personal connection that an attack that is geographically and socially closer to home does. More importantly, it either barely or doesn’t make the news and doesn’t show up on Facebook, which is where most people get their news.

Many westerners view the middle east as the war zone, that’s where attacks are supposed to happen, they forget most of the people there are civilians and e ery bit as innocent as those who are victims of terrorism in the west. The other issue is the flags/colors of the victims here are the same as the terrorists.

Seems to be that to get to the truth, we need to read the Koran.

It is not merely attacks on Muslims, but the selection of non-Muslims and certain others.

There is a picking and choosing taking place.

There is a logic to the killing.

We may not agree with the logic, and we may not like the logic, but those who perform the killings are perfectly willing to explain what they are doing and why.

The killing is not new.

It has been going on since the 700’s.

View this:

youtube.com/watch?v=t_Qpy0mXg8Y

Both good points. I mean suicide attacks and the like are far less common in the west, so when they happen it’s shocking. There have been thousands of such attacks in the Middle East and Arab world. So they no longer stand out to those thousands of miles away. Which is sad mind you, but the reality. Call it horror fatigue, eventually you get numb to it and they all blend together.

The flag issue is also true to the extent. And add to that, that many view the flags of the victims as being not too different from the perpetrators. I mean take Saudi Arabia, they are a western ally, but the fact remains their own social norms are not that far off the norms of the Islamic State. Think of it as the same way the press doesn’t talk about inner city crime much (the old black on black crime cliche). This is muslim on muslim crime as far as the press is concerned.

I was also sickened by the attacks in Turkey, Baghdad and Saudi Arabia as well as Bangladesh. The death toll in Baghdad is well over 200 now. Do people feel these deaths don’t matter because they didn’t happen in Europe or America? Any life lost to terrorism is a tragedy.
We should be as outraged against these attacks and deaths as any other.

Every life is precious, but not every city and country can match the free and abundant press coverage of news in the West. Cable news can’t cover Baghdad the same way it can Paris or New York simply from the lack of significant reporting resources. If you were a reporter given the choice of working in Paris or Baghdad, which would you choose?

The West tends to care only when there are attacks on the West itself. That is why people cared about France, but not Lebanon.

Cynical but also true, people (as noted earlier in the thread) do indeed care more about attacks on targets near them or on people similar to them more than other terror acts.

Yep, this is true. A similar phenomenon can also be found in the media’s coverage of abducted children or teenagers and the perceived lack of media coverage when black children (or children of other ethnicities) are the victims of crimes. It is known as “missing white woman syndrome”: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_white_woman_syndrome

Oh yes, this happens all the time, just recently I saw this in action when a baby was inside a car that had been stolen, the mother was a fairly attractive early 20s white girl, I could not believe the coverage and attention this was given, within the hour, they had multiple roadblocks set up, loads of cop cars racing around, it was actually sent out to all cell phones in the area as an emergency, and what to be on the look out for, I had never seen a text like this at anytime before.

Eventually the guy who stole the car recognized the baby was still in the car and he was the one who abandoned the car at a specific location, 10 minutes after he left, he called and let them know where the car and unharmed baby was.

About 8 months later, talking to a friend on mine on a city council, he said car jackings where babies are mistakenly stolen along with the car happen more than one would think, he even said this one got all the attention it did due to the mothers age/ looks and it being a Caucasian.

America has spent plenty of blood and money on an effort to bring something better to the ME.

The effort failed miserably.

Now the only question is whether or not we want to import the problems of the ME into our own countries.
And that is being tried as we speak, to the tune of millions.
Jihad rape, anyone?

The axiom that applies:
Those who are kind to the cruel end up being cruel to the kind.

It’s a hard one to balance with Matthew 5:38-40.

Honestly, for the terrorist groups, Muslims who refuse to submit to their rule are actually worse than Christians & Jews who refuse to submit. The reasoning?

According to the terrorists, non-jihadist Muslims are refusing to follow what is considered by the Islamic faith to be “revealed truth” - that is, the interpretation of the Qu’ran that is held by the terrorist group. Christians & Jews are not as culpable, as it isn’t the fault of current Christians and Jews that our texts were corrupted. The terrorists see “internal infidels” as worse than “external infidels”, and an “internal infidel” is any Muslim who doesn’t share the same interpretation of the Qu’ran as the terrorists (as a side note, strict Sunnis generally consider the Shia to be infidels, and vice-versa).

Regardless, it is a fact quite overlooked here in the West. The most common victims of al Qaeda, ISIS, and other terrorist groups are people of their own religion. And this is true in terms of sheer numbers, percentages, and relative percentages.

We fought the good fight and we lost.
The Islamists are in the position of power now, and people are dying.

Give the jihadists whatever you want. Give them your cloak and your shirt, and even your daughters, as the case may be, according to your own scrupulosity of where that kind of verse might end.

Nevertheless, the outpouring of outrage over Islamist atrocity was there. Blood and money was shed in an attempt to make the ME a livable place for peaceable Muslims to get on with their lives.

That outpouring came to naught.

The battle has been lost.

I’m not an expert on this. If what you are saying is true, though, it supports my theory that people should be exploring the religious nature of Islamic terrorism. I say that because, in general principal only, I understand the impulse to be more upset with people within one’s own religion than without. Instead of claiming that these terrorists targeting other Muslims are inauthentic Muslims, people should instead simply lobby for the branch of Islam they prefer.

The Islamic community is terrified of Daesh not because it is unIslamic, but because Daesh wants to drag Islam kicking and screaming back into the 7th century. Iran in particular hates them because Daesh wants to exterminate all Shiites, i.e. the vast majority of Iran and the state supported denomination.

Attacks on Muslims by Muslims are the fruits of their faith in action. They should reject Mohammed if they want peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.