After Communion

Help me to understand this, please. What is permitted after communion? I know the GIRM says a moment of silence is to be observed, or a song or psalm may be sung. Other than that, it's open to interpretation.

At one parish I attend, there is a recitation by the congregation and the priest of a "parish prayer of thanksgiving." It goes:

"O Sacrament Most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine;
All praise and all thanksgiving
Be every moment Thine.
We believe that Jesus Christ is really, truly, and substantially present
In Holy Communion;
Body, blood, soul, and divinity.
O Sacrament Most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine;
Be every moment Thine."

I see where parts of it come from a hymn, but this is recited aloud by everyone. Usually I sit respectfully silent, but I'd like to know if this is licit or not. My son attends this parish school and I'd like to teach him the right form for Mass. Thanks!

It seems to vary from parish to parish. In mine, after receiving we kneel in prayer for a long, blessed silence lasting several minutes.

I think what you're doing is fine; I'd do the same thing. However, if all the other children are reciting the words of the hymn, your son may feel more comfortable participating, too. (It's a beautiful hymn; perhaps eventually they might learn to sing it instead...)

youtube.com/watch?v=uoRl8rsB4yI

[quote="pamnbam, post:1, topic:328829"]
Help me to understand this, please. What is permitted after communion? I know the GIRM says a moment of silence is to be observed, or a song or psalm may be sung. Other than that, it's open to interpretation.

At one parish I attend, there is a recitation by the congregation and the priest of a "parish prayer of thanksgiving." It goes:

"O Sacrament Most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine;
Be every moment Thine.
In Holy Communion;
O Sacrament Most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine;
Be every moment Thine."

I see where parts of it come from a hymn, but this is recited aloud by everyone. Usually I sit respectfully silent, but I'd like to know if this is licit or not. My son attends this parish school and I'd like to teach him the right form for Mass. Thanks!

[/quote]

Our priest sometimes randomly starts singing O Sacrament Most Holy after communion at daily mass, and we all join in. It is absolutely beautiful! He is very traditional. It has got to be licit or he absolutely would not do that. I can't imagine why a recitation of the hymn would not be authorized, but singing it is so much better.

And when sung by a children’s choir, heavenly. :slight_smile:

[quote="detoutcoeur, post:4, topic:328829"]
And when sung by a children's choir, heavenly. :)

[/quote]

Absolutely! :)

Thanks for the replies. We'll start joining in after communion now.

[quote="pamnbam, post:1, topic:328829"]

"O Sacrament Most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine;
Be every moment Thine.
In Holy Communion;
O Sacrament Most Holy,
O Sacrament Divine;
Be every moment Thine."

[/quote]

There is no right or wrong form after receiving Holy Communion other than a prayerful silent thank you to Our Lord when you return to the pew. I think the prayer recited at your Church is just lovely and I remember it from my early days and it is just grand that this is the custom at your parish church. I would love to hear Mass at your Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.