After death

Peace and blessings to you all.
I have been asked to help a congregation understand what will happen after we die from flesh.

I am keen on listening to you all in regards to how and where we will each be in this time.

What happens to those who were never offered the teachings of your faith?

What happens to those who never followed the teachings of your faith but were offered?

What happens to those who never followed the teachings of your faith but were offered and worked against it?

Will they be in a lake of fire, a hell, a heaven, a paradise, here in a new earth, in some limbo place, a purgatory or just in a place of nothingness?

Will all the people in that place be treated the same or will their actions here have them treated differently?

Who will be there with them?

If you could offer how and where you got beliefs from so i can chase it up would be real helpful, if it is just your personal inspiration you share that is ok too.

I pray you will all be blessed for your help.

On all the items - God will judge them accordingly.

As for what heaven and hell is - I do not believe it is a real lake, or real fire, but spiritual. Usually the descriptions are what we understand since we are humans bound to this earth. But, I do not believe as the Muslims that there will be a river, 72 virgins, or little boys for the men and the women get what/nothing? I don’t believe in many who say hell is fire. I don’t believe in the childhood stories of angels with some sort of instruments playing for eternity either.

I don’t think we can really know until we get there.

When I was growing up, the idea of rebirth sort of made sense. But, I don’t know - no one really knows what it will really be like. And what people will get as rewards and punishments.

As for some people, such as Muhammed, or Hitler, or John Jones, or other mass murderers, etc - I actually think that they will be judged accordingly too. What if they had brain damage? We are only starting to be aware of that in our current times and don’t have all the answers to that either. But, my question are to those who follow such evil and do the deeds that they either did or said to do - especially the ones who said to do it in the name of some god.

Bless you and thanks for your sharing

Heaven - some of the most graphic detail can be found in the Bible.

**Revelation 4 -5.

1After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven.
…… ….
Day and night they never stop saying: “Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was, and is, and is to come.” 9Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives for ever and ever, 10the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne and say:
11"You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being."
……………

11Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. 12In a loud voice they sang:
"Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain,
to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength
and honor and glory and praise!"
13Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing:
“To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb
be praise and honor and glory and power,
for ever and ever!” 14The four living creatures said, “Amen,” and the elders fell down and worshiped.**

Time is spent in eternal worship of the living God.

There is no detail description of hell but it certainly not a nice place, for there you’ll be weeping and gnashing your teeth.

Islamically, there are two -]monsters/-] angels who are called Munkir and Nakeer whom will visit the Muslim in the grave:

Q9: Who are Munkir Nakeer?
A. When people leave the graveyard after having buried the dead, he hears the sound of their steps and then two angels who are called “Munkir” and “Nakeer” enter the grave cleaving through the earth with their big teeth. They have dreadful appearance i.e. cauldron-like burning eyes and the whole body (from the head to the toe) covered with big hairs. They ask the dead in stern rebuke to sit and harshly question him.

Q10: What questions do Munkir & Nakeer ask of the dead?
A. 1st question: “Mar-Rabbuka” (Who is your Creator)?
2nd question: “Maa Deenuka” (What is your faith)?
3rd question: Pointing towards the Holy Prophet Hadrat Muhammad Mustafa (may Allah’s choicest blessings & peace be upon him), they ask: “Maa Kunta Taqoolu Fee Haazar Rajul” (What did you use to say about him)?

[RIGHT]وأما صفتهما فهما أسودان أزرقان كما ثبتت الأحاديث بذلك، ذكر ابن حجر في الفتح رواية عن الطبراني في الأوسط في بيان صفتهما قال فيها: أعينهما مثل قدور النحاس وأنيابهما مثل صياصي البقر وأصواتهما مثل الرعد، قال ونحوه لعبد الرزاق من مرسل عمرو بن دينار وزاد يحفران بأنيابهما ويطآن في شعورهما معهما مرزبة لو اجتمع عليها أهل أمتي لم يقلوها.
[/RIGHT]
(E) (A).

I think they are offered at some time before or during the exit from the body, as long as they spend their lives in search of truth and truly ready and willing to learn the truth.

What happens to those who never followed the teachings of your faith but were offered?

It depends on their reasons. If they were badly misled about what we believe and about us in general and about the relevant facts and had little to no opportunity to learn more accurate information, God will probably continue sending them messages of some kind in some way if they are open to truth and genuinely willing to know.

Will they be in a lake of fire, a hell, a heaven, a paradise, here in a new earth, in some limbo place, a purgatory or just in a place of nothingness?

Hell is the lake of fire. Heaven is a paradise. I don’t know how the new earth fits in but it’s in the picture somewhere. Limbo, if there is one, is a section of heaven. Purgatory is a process that goes on before heaven to prepare the soul. There will not be a place of nothingness for anyone.

Will all the people in that place be treated the same or will their actions here have them treated differently?

For those who die in a state of grace, meaning that they haven’t committed a mortal sin since their last absolution, and who have spent their lives in search of truth rather than indifferent or resistant to truth, there are many levels of reward in heaven following many different periods of purification, depending on the things we do and say here on earth and why and whether we could have known better etc. For those who die in a state of mortal sin, there are various levels of punishment depending on their actions and choices here, also within the context of what they knew and whether they could ahve done better, knew better etc. We don’t know the details and we don’t know exactly who is in hell but we do know the names of many, many thousands who made it to heaven, known as the saints.

If you could offer how and where you got beliefs from so i can chase it up would be real helpful, if it is just your personal inspiration you share that is ok too.

I pray you will all be blessed for your help.

Thank you. I got my beliefs from the Catholic Church. I took RCIA, read some of the pocket catechism and the writings of early fathers such as Irenaeus and Clement I and Justin Martyr, and have also heard lectures by priests in my parish and talked with other parishioners.
Many unusual experiences led me to Christ and through denominations and finally tot he Catholic Church, supported by experimentation, comparison with other religions I had been in before (Buddhism, Hinduism, Wicca… the usual searchings), and study of history and reasoning my way along as well as following visions, too much to put in one post.

Steven John,
The LDS or Mormon Church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) believes as follows regarding your questions:

1. The gospel of Jesus Christ will be offered as a teaching to all people before they are resurrected, mostly in the spirit world after this life based on the large amount of people who will not have heard the gospel of Christ during their mortal life. (See 1 Peter 4:6 and 1 Peter 3:19)

2. Everyone will receive whatever condition of glory that they have lived for and desired as shown by their actions in life, and shown by how much they desired to change their lives through sanctification by the Holy Spirit and through the power and grace of the atonement of Jesus Christ. If they followed teachings that led them to do these things, then God will judge them according to how they implemented those teachings in their day to day lives and how they put on charity or love in their dealings with all people.

3. People have many different experiences in life, and Christ is the perfect judge of the heart of each person. People will be judged by what is in their heart, and how they followed Christ’s teachings including how they reacted to the opportunity to be “healed” spiritually by the Savior. If they cause others spiritual harm, then they are not following Christ. Most religions based on the Savior’s teachings, do not lead toward causing spiritual harm if the people are reading the Bible in their daily lives and are earnestly seeking to follow Christ.

4. Paradise is the spirit world condition of those who lived good lives in mortality, and of all little children who died young. Hell is the spirit world condition of torment for those who disregarded the commandments and also didn’t repent of their sins. Both of these conditions will have opportunities to continue to learn about Jesus Christ more fully and to learn about His power of healing grace.

One who wants to learn about conditions and glories after death ought to read the book of Revelation several times, and seek the spirit of revelation in their personal lives to understand what John wrote, as talked about throughout the New Testament.

I hope this has helped in what you were trying to accomplish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.