After Offertory Hand Washing - can it be skipped?

At daily Mass, a particular priest never does the ritual hand washing after the offertory. He does at Sunday Mass, but never during the several months of weekday Masses I’ve attended.

I thought perhaps the rubrics were different at daily Mass, but I’ve been to several daily Masses elsewhere recently, and always the priest washes his hands. This is what’s making me wonder.

Would this be written in the GIRM? or elsewhere?

Thanks

I don’t believe it’s an optional part of any Mass - daily or Sunday. The GIRM says:

1. The priest then washes his hands at the side of the altar, a rite that is an expression of his desire for interior purification.
  • It’s actually a very important symbolic act before the priest proceeds to offer the Holy Sacrifice.

Here is what the GIRM states that:

1. The priest then washes his hands at the side of the altar, a rite that is an expression of his desire for interior purification.

It does not differentiate between Daily Mass and Sunday Mass.

Failure to perform the hand washing is illicit, but the mass is still valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.