After receiving the Eucharist

Sometimes when I receive the Eucharist (state of Grace) and go into prayer, I fill with sorrow for both my past sins and the past sins of others, but at the same time I feel a deep love and joy for the Human race (in which that I sincerely wish for the Holiness of others). Is there an objective reason for this as far as Theology goes, or is it purely subjective and based on just the way I happen to feel?

Dear Anthony,

Value this as a gift, but don’t be devastated if the gift does seem to disappear.
Saints like St Teresa of Jesus (Avila) call these 'spiritual consolations, which are sometimes experienced in the earlier stages of the spiritual journey. St Paul speaks of it also.

Perhaps you will always have this, if not keep what you have learned from these experiences as a guideline to future Communion and prayer even if these seem dry and God seems difference. It is a gift to have such experiences. It is a gift to have them taken away and for you to have to go forward in pure faith without consolation.

How God will deal with you is the secret story between you and God. Perhaps God will always treat you with such solicitude and tenderness. I hope so, Anthony. You clearly are very pleasing to God.

For some, the following is explanation:
“I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it.” 1 Corinthians 3:2
"When I was a child, I used to talk as a child, think as a child, reason as a child; when I became a man, I put aside childish things."1 Corinthians 13:11

Spiritual states of consolation and desolation
newadvent.org/cathen/14254a.htm

Theology aside, I think it is both and more.

Let see what it is. We are in a state of grace. We receive the Lord. We are in Communion with the Lord.

It means we are one with the Lord at that very moment. It even means we are infused into the Lord that spiritually we can know the mind of the Lord since he is in us.

It is not surprising then what you experienced. You were filled with sorrow for your sins and of others. Jesus did too. Remember he cried over Jerusalem. Filled with sorrow for sins is always a sign of repenting grace so that knowing how sad sin is we will try not to sin again. This kind of feeling does not always necessary natural in the Sacrament of Confession where we wanted to repent but our flesh may not be ready for it. During the grace of the Eucharist we are one with Jesus and all his being is with us – and thus we truly experience the reality of repentance.

Similarly, about feeling of deep love and joy for the human race. Where do you think it comes from if not from Jesus that you are in Communion with?

Different people can have different experience upon receiving the most Holy Eucharist. It can bring about a realization of many issues in your life as seen by the Lord which is felt by you. We have to learn to revel in this situation though many times the Holy Eucharist can be quite dry. In that case, we can meditate into our own life or thanksgivings for the grace of God which we receive. We can respond to this in prayer acknowledging his presence and thanking him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.