After student's suicide, teens leave encouraging notes on over 3,600 lockers at school

After student’s suicide, teens leave encouraging notes on over 3,600 lockers at school. abcn.ws/2bG2Ud1

Wow…what a beautiful thing to do in this sad circumstance.

But in the absence of some kind of belief in a morality that considers suicide evil, will gestures of this sort really make any difference?

One is reminded of Hamlet’s soliloquy:

"For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,

Th’ oppressor’s wrong, the proud man’s contumely,

The pangs of despised love, the law’s delay,

The insolence of office, and the spurns

That patient merit of th’ unworthy takes,

When he himself might his quietus make

With a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,

To grunt and sweat under a weary life,

But that the dread of something after death,

The undiscovered country from whose bourn

No traveler returns, puzzles the will

And makes us rather bear those ills we have

Than fly to others that we know not of?

Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,"

Conscience. And it was true in Shakespeare’s time, and it is just as true now.

What a heartless comment that is to make! Who are you to assume that these students have no belief in morality, or that they don’t know that suicide is an evil. They did a wonderful thing.

Ridgerunner, no offense, but Shakespeare sounds like

"blah, blah, blah,

blah, blah, blah," to me. I am missing your point, sorry.

I think the girls did a really good thing regardless of whether people consider suicide evil or not. They put their hearts into what they did, and they touched people’s lives that might not have been touched otherwise.

I’m not sure what happened to Ridgerunners post, but I agreed with him.

There are just so many useless gestures going on today that do nothing but make our narcissistic society feel better about themselves. After all, it’s all about getting on social media and going “viral” and getting on YouTube, right? Enough of this touchy/feely stuff going on with kids today. They need to face some hard truths and they need to be taught morality, Gods morality.

But, I’m a guy, so…:smiley:

But what makes you think they did it to get on social media, or to get it to go viral?

Why do you assume the worst in people?

Why do you assume they are **not **being taught God’s morality?

What would you have preferred these kids do? Place notes saying “suicide is a sin”?

Well, I guess nobody left Hamlet a sticky note. It was a nice gesture, but can sticky notes prevent suicide?

A message can. Post-its are just the medium.

ICXC NIKA

What a truly sweet thing to do.

Truly.

I don’t know why the post disappeared. But my point was that suicide is a more serious temptation when people make no connection between it and their destination after death. In our own time, when suicide is considered an “expedient” or “reasonable” or “a mercy” without regard to its moral dimension, it becomes easier and encouragements to life are less likely to have any value.

Shakespeare, through Hamlet, expressed that very thing. In other words, "…who would put up with the difficulties of life and therefore fail to choose to end it if God had not “…fixed His canon against it.”

Which is not to express disdain for what these girls did.

Sadly, things like this will always happen because kids have not yet learnt a proper fear of death, religious teachings aside.

But every bit of kindness shown after a tragedy can help to defuse the next one. Bravo.

ICXC NIKA

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.