After the homily?

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:19, topic:287801"]
Announcements are to be done after the Prayers After Communion. Unless the priest makes the plea himself, or another ordained man speaks, the time for homily is the time for someone ordained to speak.

[/quote]

See post #11...I think I got it answered by looking at Michelle's answer....not an abuse...

0 Likes

[quote="Annabelle_Marie, post:18, topic:287801"]
From the link on #11

[/quote]

I think you're putting too much stock in the staff apologists. They do not have to cite their sources, or explain their logic, and no one gets to challenge their answers within the thread. This gives them a veneer of omniscience. But it's just a veneer, underneath it they're just people, and there are several regular posters here who predictably provide very thorough and well-thought out answers that compare favorably with the AAA threads.

A difference that's worth noting on the regular threads is that each member is basically shooting his mouth off. If it's a well-educated and well-articulated mouth, that's great, but there is plenty of noise from less thoughtful, or sometimes even thoughtless, members. On the other hand, one assumes that the writing of the staff apologists is vetted for spelling, grammar, and accuracy by knowledgeable folks. So it is prudent to give a respectful hearing to their answers. But it doesn't make an opinion a fact. Absent any supportive sources, or any logic why we should ignore the straightforward reading Brendan took on this issue, I think this apologist's answer is only an opinion, at best.

0 Likes

Why? Because I don’t think Brendan always has the best answers…actually I hardly ever think he has the best answers. And I would put the apologist answer over Brendan’s any day…that’s why.

Who is Brendan that I would follow him vs. what an apologist hired by CAF would have to say? Add to that my knowledge of our priest, who I highly doubt would do anything that was an abuse…and ya…I’m sticking with the apologist vs. Joe bloke off the internet…

0 Likes

[quote="Annabelle_Marie, post:18, topic:287801"]

It is unusual...but fact of the matter is...people do leave right after communion....

[/quote]

I call it the Judas Shuffle (and I've heard it called that, as well), because Judas left to betray Jesus right after he received.

0 Likes

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:19, topic:287801"]
Announcements are to be done after the Prayers After Communion.

[/quote]

Announcements are not "to be done" during the Concluding Rites. Instead, they can be done. The difference being that "can" signifies that announcements may be made at other (approved) times, and do not have to be placed solely and only during the Concluding Rites. So, for example, they could be done before Mass begins and not done during the CR.

0 Likes

Of course this is not an abuse. A good rule of thumb is that if this question needs to be asked, it is not worth worrying about, unless you are the bishop or one that is advising him. The local bishop is the sole authority in properly administering the GIRM. If he deems it to be acceptable for some mission appeal after the homily, then it is acceptable. If one had a direct contradiction of the GIRM (A as opposed to not A), then there might be room for debate.

[quote="Digitonomy, post:22, topic:287801"]
I think you're putting too much stock in the staff apologists.

[/quote]

I think they got this answer from Edward Peters. I heard him give it a few years back on CAL.

Absent any supportive sources, or any logic why we should ignore the straightforward reading Brendan took on this issue, I think this apologist's answer is only an opinion, at best.

The only authority is the bishop and the priest. That is whose opinion should get the default acceptance. Do not forget that the "G" in GIRM stands for "General". However, here is your link from the GIRM:
usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/roman-missal/general-instruction-of-the-roman-missal/girm-chapter-9.cfm

1. The Diocesan Bishop, who is to be regarded as the High Priest of his flock, from whom the life in Christ of his faithful in some sense derives and upon whom it depends, must promote, regulate, and be vigilant over the liturgical life in his diocese.

Everything else is opinion.

0 Likes

I gave you the correct answer on post #2 and #7, this is not the first time this question has been asked and answered.
The first two times I spoke at mass the pastors insisted that I speak after the Homily, I e-mailed my Bishop asking when was the proper time for the laity to speak. It was he that arranged my talks and he that sent me to the parishes!
He sent the reply that is posted.
He also is a Canon lawyer.
There are many that erronously post on this site proving that a little knowledge is dangerous!

0 Likes

We have had this type of campaign announcement right after the homily before also but recently Father has moved it to the beginning of mass. I agree after mass would not be good, not just for those who sadly leave early but because at that point people will get restless, not listen and again, sadly be thinking to themselves it is time to go why are you adding this now, so we may have short announcements after mass but that is all.

Ours is usually a video campaign so maybe that is why it was moved to the beginning of mass. You hate to see mass interupted for a video but it has happened.

0 Likes

[quote="pnewton, post:26, topic:287801"]
Of course this is not an abuse. A good rule of thumb is that if this question needs to be asked, it is not worth worrying about, unless you are the bishop or one that is advising him.

[/quote]

I'm a little confused. This is a rule of thumb for this specific question (in which case it's not really a rule of thumb, just the answer to the question)? Or is it the rule of thumb for any liturgical abuse?

I would love to listen to this - do they still have the shows archived, and do you recall what year it was? I didn't realize Ed Peters was ever on CAL, or I might have listened to those already.

0 Likes

Thanks thomas jd…I suspected as much. Because the priest did give his homily…and because I have NEVER known him to do anything that would be an abuse in any form.

Sometimes people can let their own preferences and opinions turn into law…

It’s sad when our worship becomes like that…people get caught up into details and forget the heart of worship.

Thanks again

0 Likes

closed #31
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.