After the Second Reading in the LOTH

Whilst praying the Divine Office, there are two readings in the Office of the Readings.
After the first reading, I say: “The Word of the Lord: Thanks be to God”

But, the Second Reading isn’t from scripture, so is there a correct lexicon or phrase to say after the Second Reading (for example a sermon from St. Augustine or St. Peter Chrysologus) or should one just move on to the Responsary ?

I recently went on retreat at a Benedictine abbey, where I participated daily in the Divine Office chanted in community. At the conclusion of a non-Scriptural reading, the lector said “This concludes the reading” and the rest of us responded, “Thanks be to God.”

I don’t know, however, if this practice is unique to this particular monastic community, unique to the Benedictines, or not unique to anyone.

For any readings in the Liturgy of the Hours, whether it be the longer readings in the Office of Readings, or the short chapters for the rest of the hours, there is no versicle and response analogous to “The Word of the Lord/Thanks be to God” in the liturgy of the Mass. The reading simply concludes, and then follows its responsory, either sung or recited.

-ACEGC

There is no such acclamation after either Reading, even the Scriptural one. You simply recite the provided Responsory.

This is also true for Morning and Evening Prayer as well: the readings there are said without introduction and without an acclamation.

Was this an abbey in France? I’m curious as to which one.

At our abbey, the reader simply stops reading at the end of the reading (for both readings) and then there’s silence. After a respectable period of silence, the cantor intones the responsory.

I’ve been to two abbeys in France, St. Wandrille in Normandy (which founded our abbey) and Sainte-Marie-de-Paris (a small satellite abbey of St. Wandrille in Paris).

The OOR has two readings, each followed by a Responsory. After the Second Reading, there is a prayer, and the OOR concludes with the acclamation:

Let us praise the Lord.
-And give him thanks.

You can find the rubrics for each office in “The Ordinary of the Liturgy of the Hours for Ordinary Time” (p. 649, 1975 edition)

Silence follows the readings :thumbsup:

After the prayer for the hour, and since I am praying alone, I end with the simple “May the Lord bless us, protect us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life.”

Gertie

For the Office of Readings, the concluding acclamation is “V. Let us bless the Lord. R. And give him thanks.” Further, it’s optional in individual recitation, while required in communal prayer. I nevertheless say it anyway.

The “May the Lord bless us…” is for Morning Prayer and Evening Prayer.

I like this way. Thank you.

I usually only pray the Office of Readings – though I’ll sometimes add in the Psalms of Lauds – and occasionally Compline. Still, I end with “may the Lord bless us” because I love that prayer :smiley:

I’ll be the first to admit that I probably don’t always pray the Office correctly, but I stumble through it as best as I can, remembering that first and foremost, this is prayer – and correct form is not as important as lifting one’s heart in prayer to Our Lord. For me, worrying about “getting it right” is a huge distraction to prayer, and I’d be likely to give up before I begin if I spent too much time assuring myself I had the correct antiphons or that I’m praying the responsory correctly (:hmmm: which parts do I repeat again???). Apparently, “stumbling through” is my path to sanctity!! :rotfl:

Of course, when praying in community, form does matter. But since my dogs and cat are unable to join me in prayer, I rarely pray the LOTH in community :smiley:

Thanks for the clarification! Hope I didn’t confuse the OP with my earlier response :blush:

Gertie

It wasn’t—it was an abbey in England. My native language is English, so I prefer to do my retreats in an Anglophone country. I’ve not yet been to a French abbey. :blush:

Not at this abbey, at least not when praying in community.

If I’m praying alone I skip the acclamations, but I do end Lauds and Vespers as you describe. I don’t think that’s what the OP was asking about, though.

Ah, I see. I’ve also been to Douai abbey in England :wink:

As do I. The Office just seems sort of… unfinished without it.

I also add, according to Benedictine tradition, the the invocations for the souls of the deceased and for absent brothers.

I’ll assume, then, that their way of praying in community is unique to them…? Because I never said I had gone to Douai Abbey, and yet you knew! :hypno:

To be honest it was a lucky guess, it’s the only functioning abbey I’ve been to in England, though I’ve also visited abbey ruins and of course Westminster Abbey which though functional is no longer a Benedictine abbey :slight_smile:

However I don’t recall how they ended the readings! I do remember being surprised that we were seated in the choir stalls for the Offices, as at the abbey I’m associated with, the stalls are strictly off limits to anybody but monks or postulants.

I know a couple of oblates from Douai abbey. I’m on the consultation committee for the World Oblate Congress held in Rome every 4 years and they serve on the same committee.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.