After waiting 20 years for an annulment, may we live celibately and receive?

My jusband was previously married in the church. We were marriede civilly while we waited for his anulment. Well, it has been 20 years, and no anulment. The marriage took place in Croatia and we have exhausted every avenue trying to push this forward. In any case, since I have never been married in the church, and I am suffering tremendously, as I was told no communion or confession until the marriage can be convalidated. Subsequently I was told if we chose to live celibately, that I could return to receiving these sacraments.

Bottom line, my heart is breaking, and aching to go to confession and receive communion once again. I have suffered for 20 years! We are willing to live chastely in order for me to return to the sacraments.

Is this possible? I cannot go on like this much longer…

Hi,

By all means, live celibately, go to Confession and receive Holy Communion. You might want to receive Holy Communion in another parish to avoid giving scandal if there are people in your own parish who know your situation . You are in our prayers.

Incidentally, that craving for the Eucharist is coming directly from the Lord, Himself!

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.