After we die?

I was wondering if anyone had a theory or scripture based answer to this: After we die, do we lie in a state of unconsciousness until Jesus comes back again to judge us, OR, are we judged immediately after we die? I have heard theories on both and I am confused!

We are immediately with Christ if we are totally pure. The CCC is a good source starting arond paragraph 1020, and is of course the teaching from the Church; here are some relevant paragraphs that appear to answer your question:

1021 Death puts an end to human life as the time open to either accepting or rejecting the divine grace manifested in Christ.592 The New Testament speaks of judgment primarily in its aspect of the final encounter with Christ in his second coming, but also repeatedly affirms that each will be rewarded immediately after death in accordance with his works and faith. The parable of the poor man Lazarus and the words of Christ on the cross to the good thief, as well as other New Testament texts speak of a final destiny of the soul–a destiny which can be different for some and for others.593

1023 Those who die in God’s grace and friendship and are perfectly purified live for ever with Christ. They are like God for ever, for they “see him as he is,” face to face:598

By virtue of our apostolic authority, we define the following: According to the general disposition of God, the souls of all the saints . . . and other faithful who died after receiving Christ’s holy Baptism (provided they were not in need of purification when they died, . . . or, if they then did need or will need some purification, when they have been purified after death, . . .) already before they take up their bodies again and before the general judgment - and this since the Ascension of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ into heaven - have been, are and will be in heaven, in the heavenly Kingdom and celestial paradise with Christ, joined to the company of the holy angels. Since the Passion and death of our Lord Jesus Christ, these souls have seen and do see the divine essence with an intuitive vision, and even face to face, without the mediation of any creature.599

[quote=CatMan]I was wondering if anyone had a theory or scripture based answer to this: After we die, do we lie in a state of unconsciousness until Jesus comes back again to judge us, OR, are we judged immediately after we die? I have heard theories on both and I am confused!
[/quote]

Both, actually :smiley:

We are immediately judged in what is called “particular judgement” at the moment of our death. Our judgement is then publically declared before all at “general judgement” at the end of time at the resurrection.

newadvent.org/cathen/08550a.htm
newadvent.org/cathen/08552a.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.