After you've had Mark of the beast

if it were the end times and you recieved the mark of the beast, then afterward had it removed and repented would you still go to heaven?

:takethat:

Peter was forgiven after he denied Jesus three times, so yes.

The only sin that can not be forgiven is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, which means the denial of salvation itself.

The mark of the beast had symbolic meaning that was only relevant to Christians living when the book of Revelation was written. It probably symbolized loyalty to Ceasar before Christ.

See post 5 :slight_smile: - no; because those who “wonder after the beast” do not have their names “written in the book of life” of the Lamb.

The book is an apocalypse, and apocalyptic writings are not really concerned with free will; it’s more interested in other things, such as the Kingship of God and the defeat of all powers that resist Him. The psychology of human actions is not on its radar.

Revelation is much more interested in distinguishing those whom God predestined to be His own from those whom He has not so favoured; people are divided into those who are for Him, & those who are against: there is no grey in the picture, but only black and white. And the grey areas of moral action are what human free will and freedom of choice often deal with. Which is how we think - but it’s not Jewish Biblical thinking; for Jewish Biblical thought sees decisions in stark contrasts of black or white, without grey. The gospels divide people in the same black-and-white way: sheep or goats, God’s or the devil’s, loving Jesus or hating Him, children of darkness or of light.

I find it interesting that you take such a Calvanistic approach to the book of Revelation while at the same time citing such passages that emphasize the consequences of free will (those who do, and those who chose not to do).

Predestination is nothing more than a quaint word for fatalism. If this is the way God had destined things, than please tell me why it was necessary for Jesus to suffer and die as he did. In other words, if Christ’s sacrifice wasn’t a complete and all sufficient sacrifice, then it wouldn’t have been necessary - He needn’t not to have died. After all, could an all perfect God produce an inferior sacrifice? Or could predestination quite possibly be nothing more than a way of excusing us (and blaming God) when we chose to go our own way.

Several other posters have mentioned how the mark of the beast is a greatly misunderstood topic. This especially so in the past few decades from many evangelical writers. It is not an ‘end times’ event.

The best understanding of this I have read can be found in teh book
Rapture:The End-Times Error that Leaves the Bible Behind
by the biblical scholar and catholic convert David Currie

You can check out the reviews at amazon.

Actually, I would probably agree with you. I’m not theologically liberal, at least I don’t think I am, but you’re probably right that it was something along those lines, though perhaps more specifically referring to Nero, the current emperor at the time, who’s name adds up to 666.

Actually, I would probably agree with you. I’m not theologically liberal, at least I don’t think I am, but you’re probably right that it was something along those lines, though perhaps more specifically referring to Nero, the current emperor at the time, who’s name adds up to 666.

Actually I’m theologically clueless…I have no idea of what u guys are talking about
its too high intellectual study jargon type stuff for me

Ah, don’t worry about it, we’re all clueless :wink:
I suggest reading this. Wikipedia isn’t always reliable, and I’d be wary of the things on it, but it will give you an overview of Christian thought on the subject of the anti-Christ being Nero. Of course, it’s not all Catholic, since it gives a very broad spectrum of ideas on the subject. Anyway, have a look: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

The mark of the beast meant doing the Emperor’s work, just as the mark of Christ and of the Father meant doing the work of God. The mark of Christ and of the Father means the anointing with oil (Confirmation and Anointing of the Sick), the new Christian name written on a white stone (membership in the Church of Christ), and the bearing of suffering and death for the Lord (the marks of the Passion of Christ).

Yes, the number 666 decodes into “Caesar Nero.”

It can be confusing. When I first took an interest in the book ‘Revelation’ I thought all these things were going to to happen in my lifetime. I was one of those people who thought the world would end around 2000. The book of Revelation is better understood as a message primarily for Christians suffering persecution from the ancient Roman Empire in the 1st century.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.