Age difference

How do you all feel about a younger guy dating an older woman? Not a huge age difference, but more like 3-4 years. Would that present any problems? Thank you.

The only "issue" would be the ole biological clock one. If she wants kids before you do, that could be an issue.

My husband is 3 years and 8 months younger than me. The only problems we've had in our 12 years of marriage is that other people seem to have an issue with it. There has never been any kind of problems in our relationship do to our age difference.

My MIL is nearly 10 years older than her husband. They have been quite happy for over 30 years.

One of my BIL's is also married to a woman who is older than him, they are also quite happy.

My best friend from high school is married to a man 11 years younger, they have two children (3 and 6mos) despite her being 36.

So no, I don't see any problem. I would be OK if my son brought home an older woman.

I agree with all the other posters , however it DOES depend on you both being fully adults .. not someone 17 or younger who may well feel adult but has not the experience of one .

How old were you/they when you/they first met?

MIL was around 30 with three kids :eek: Her dh was 22.

BIL and SIL were older, I'm not completely sure but he was around 26 and she was in her 30's.

Friend was 32 and he was 21.

And yes, it does need to be someone over 18!

[quote="BadTurkey, post:6, topic:206576"]
How old were you/they when you/they first met?

[/quote]

I was 29, dh was 25.

How did your/their parents feel about it?

Age is just a number. It's all about working out a loving relationship.

Age doesn't matter much when it comes to dating and marriage. However, It is better to date someone who isn't more than 5 years older than you. If you are a guy, I'll suggest you date younger women in your age group (not kids) because that is the 'traditional/normal' way.

My DW is 16 years my senior.
I was 38 and she 54 when we married 17 years ago. (Second marriage for us both)
No problems with "biological cloks and such but one must be aware of aging issues. My DW now has Alzheimer’s disease and I am only 5 but have to care for her full time.
I’m not complaining - I love her and want to be there for her. I’m just bringing up the point that these things should be considered.

Peace
James

Yes, a 10+ year age difference seems inconsequential when younger in life, but takes on much more importance as you age. My mother married a man 12 years her senior. By the time she retired, he was basically housebound and they couldn’t travel as they had long planned.

James, I am sorry for the tragic disease that you and your wife are coping with. You are carrying a very heavy burden. God bless you.

3-4 years is nothing unless you are in your teens :). I wouldn't advise a 13 year old to go out witha 17 year old (the age gap is 4 years) but a 25 year old and a 29 year old is fine (same age gap.)

God Bless.

[quote="Flame4, post:14, topic:206576"]
3-4 years is nothing unless you are in your teens :). I wouldn't advise a 13 year old to go out witha 17 year old (the age gap is 4 years) but a 25 year old and a 29 year old is fine (same age gap.)

God Bless.

[/quote]

I totally agree. My DH is 4 years younger than me and we have been married 10 years. I think a 1-5 year difference makes no difference if you are both adults. Many marriages with a greater age gap than this work out fine but for some reason, even a 1 or 2 year age gap when the women is younger, causes raised eyebrows for some people.

Both my parents and grandparents are seven years apart. It's never been a problem for anyone.

Past the age of 30, 3-4 years shouldn't be a big deal. Most guys nowadays aren't ready to marry and support a wife and children before the age of 28 or so. My husband and I are 10 years apart (he's older), and we have had some difficulties with different life stages and levels of experience and maturity. We married when I was 20, and I had a LOT of growing up to do, even though I was a "mature" 20-year-old (whatever that is). :rolleyes:

I'm 34 and my husband is 32 we've been married 7 years...he's fine with it. I'm concerned however, because I'm going to be in my 40s and 50s two years before he does! :eek:

He's a pretty good looking fella too. I was decent looking but from lack of exercise I'm overweight now even though I'm pregnant with our 3rd. I can't wait to look nice again for myself and him... :thumbsup: (he's a great guy and loves me like a husband should even though I'm overweight) :o

I'm a 21-year-old female who's dated older men (from two to seven or eight years older)....the last and only time I dated someone my age, I was seventeen. Before that, I was too young for the guys I really liked, both in age (and legality) and emotionally.

For me, it has nothing to do with a provider complex, as I'm very proud of paying for my stuff (as you all probably know :D). It has everything to do with liking older people in general. Most of my friends have been at least three years older since I was in high school. I was the little girl who'd talk to her teachers about things like the Holocaust and the environment, rather than play with the other kids. I wanted to sit at the grown ups' table and was happy when I was finally too big for the kids' table. Maybe it's because I am the oldest child, not only in my immediate family but within my extended family and community. I've just always felt more comfortable....

In my mind, as long as both parties can give consent (legal and otherwise) and as long as the other person leads you to God, who cares?

[quote="BadTurkey, post:9, topic:206576"]
How did your/their parents feel about it?

[/quote]

My friends went through this too. The wife is 7 years older than her husband (he is 30, she is 37). She has a PH.d in molecular biology and he was a worship leader who had never gone to college. They were worried about what their parents might say, so they prayed about it - hard - for long time. In the end, parents on both sides were thrilled that God had chosen such an amazing spouse for both of them. They just had their third child in may!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.