Age of Reason -Fundamentalist

I’m fairly new to this forum and I really have a lot of questions for especially those in the Church of Christ (not the United or Boston).

I’ve been scanning the previous posts all the way back to the begining of this forum. I read a previous post somewhere around pg. 75 that asked the question, “When does a Mentally Challenged person reach the Age of Reason in order to get Baptized?” I followed down the thread and did not see an answer. If a young person never quite understands the situation of baptism as this is a requirement for C of C, then how can they ask to be baptized and be expected to enter Heaven?

Is there anyone from the C of C that can answer this question?

Thanks and much appreciateion :slight_smile:

TJBJ

a person does not need to reach the age of reason to be baptized, as the Catholic Church practices infant baptism, where the child is baptized in the faith and understanding of his parents. The parents of this individual should bring him to baptism without delay. As soon as he is able to understand the difference between the Eucharist and ordinary bread and wine, that Jesus is in the Eucharist, that Jesus is God, who loves him, and he desires to receive Jesus, he may receive first communion, after instruction adapted to his abilities and understanding. Even if he never reaches that stage of development, he should be confirmed, especially if his condition is likely to shorten his life expectancy.

canon law covers this situation, as does the particular law of each diocese which applies canon law. The US bishops have published a document on brining persons with disabilities to the sacraments. This topic has been discussed at least three times in the last few weeks.

sorry I did not understand your original post and title, and am replying of course for the Catholic Church, as this is a Catholic forum. Now perhaps those in Church of Christ will answer your question.

[quote=tjbj]I’m fairly new to this forum and I really have a lot of questions for especially those in the Church of Christ (not the United or Boston).

I’ve been scanning the previous posts all the way back to the begining of this forum. I read a previous post somewhere around pg. 75 that asked the question, “When does a Mentally Challenged person reach the Age of Reason in order to get Baptized?” I followed down the thread and did not see an answer. If a young person never quite understands the situation of baptism as this is a requirement for C of C, then how can they ask to be baptized and be expected to enter Heaven?

Is there anyone from the C of C that can answer this question?

Thanks and much appreciateion :slight_smile:

TJBJ
[/quote]

In the old testament God required male children to be circumcised on the eighth day after birth, well before the age of reason, and baptism is the replacement of circumcition.

Thank you for the previous two comments. I am however very interested in what the Fundamentalist (Church of Christ or others similar) think of this question.
As a reminder, my husband is a C of C member and he has “challenged” me to learn more about my religion so I can defend it when he spouts off Bible verses to me about what he has been taught.
Any of C of C care to answer the question:

If a person in your congregation is mentally challenged, when does he/she reach the “Age of Reason” to be able to choose for themselves to be Baptized?

Thanks,
TJBJ

Does it matter?

This is My covenant which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: Every male child among you shall be circumcised; and you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between Me and you. He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised, every male child in your generations, he who is born in your house or bought with money from any foreigner who is not your descendant. Genesis 17 10:12

If and eight day old has to be circumsised to be a part of God’s covenant, is that eight day old within the “Age of Reason”? God wanted the parents to choose for the eight day old to be part of the covenant. Is it not reasonable to choose for the person who can’t decide on his own? What would God want the caretakers of that person to do? What was His decision on a similar issue in the past?

Just baptize the kid/guy and ask questions later.

[quote=onesimplemind]Does it matter?

This is My covenant which you shall keep, between Me and you and your descendants after you: Every male child among you shall be circumcised; and you shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between Me and you. He who is eight days old among you shall be circumcised, every male child in your generations, he who is born in your house or bought with money from any foreigner who is not your descendant. Genesis 17 10:12

If and eight day old has to be circumsised to be a part of God’s covenant, is that eight day old within the “Age of Reason”? God wanted the parents to choose for the eight day old to be part of the covenant. Is it not reasonable to choose for the person who can’t decide on his own? What would God want the caretakers of that person to do? What was His decision on a similar issue in the past?

Just baptize the kid/guy and ask questions later.
[/quote]

To me…no it does not matter. To him and his congregation (Church of Christ) it seems to matter. This is why I am asking them for their input on the question.

TJBJ

have you asked this question on a forum or site belonging to the denomination you are interested in? or checked their library and resources? would not that be more helpful to you?

am a member of the CoC.

For a quicker reply than I may be able to give (would have to call dad who is a minister) I will refer you to post this question at

Preachersfiles.com, under their Q&A section of the Forum, or even so, just under general discussion. They will be more than happy to reply.

If not, I will try my best to get in contact with him for a clear answer.

:cool:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.