Age Question - Can I Enter Religious Life??

I would like to know if you can be to old to become a Nun of a Sister. I am 50 years old and in good shape. I’ve just came home to the Church two years ago.I had this feeling when I was a child but no one to talk to. I don’t want to go into a long story. But really am I to old?

Thank- you & bless you

I’ve heard of people entering religious life in middle age. My guess it would depend on the religious order. I don’t know if some have age limits. Do you feel led to a particular order? I would contact them and ask.

I didn’t understand the vote (the choices offered), but I think I understand the question. The answer to your question is no, you are not too old to become a Nun. If that is where God is leading you, I wish you the best and God bless you. :thumbsup:

You’ll have to look around but I have no doubt there are at least several orders out there who will take you at your age. Recently, there have been several priests ordained in their 60s. So don’t worry. Talk with your priest, call someone at your diocese, etc.

Here are some Benedictine sisters in Chicago whose age requirement is between 21 and 50. osbchicago.org/vocations.htm

More Benedictines, this time in Oklahoma, 19 - 50 years old: redplainsmonastery.org/vocation.html

Another Benedictine community, 21 - 50 years old: stmarymonastery.org/vocations/becoming_a_sister/index.html

Many other orders I looked at had their maximum age set at 45 but stated they were willing to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis, usually with more discernment. So, as you can see, your age won’t stop you from becoming a sister, if you have the vocation and the willingness to look around.

Looking over your profile, I don’t see anything that should be a serious impediment to becoming a sister except your previous marriage. As long as that has been annulled, it too should not be a major impediment. If it isn’t annulled, you need to start that process ASAP. God Bless you and your vocation, whatever it might be.

Many Visitation monasteries don’t have an age limit. Try them and courage!

Yes, you can still enter religious life!!! I was decerning a vocation and took a vocation test(try google search, I don’t remember the address) anyway I’m 44 and at least 20 different places got in contact with me. There was a great article in Time last month too about the entering religious life. The places who contacted me accepted woman up to 70 and I’m pretty sure there were some with no age limit.
BTW, I don’t seem to have a calling:( , but I’m remaining open to Gods will in my life.

I have found through research, there are no age limits. Sure, some post age requirements, but they will generally look at each individual on a case by case basis.

I’m myself very afraid of the age limits. I’m 24, I’m baptized but not still confirmed :banghead: and I’d like to discern my vocation… but due to my age and to the fact of not being confirmed I’m afraid to contact religious communities (with complete habit, of course)! By these reasons, I understand those who are worried about the age limits for the religious life!
:blessyou:

I’m myself very afraid of the age limits. I’m 24, I’m baptized but not still confirmed :banghead: and I’d like to discern my vocation… but due to my age and to the fact of not being confirmed I’m afraid to contact religious communities (with complete habit, of course)! By these reasons, I understand those who are worried about the age limits for the religious life!
:blessyou:

At 24, you’re plenty old enough. They’ll probably want you to have been confirmed for 1-3 years, but they certainly won’t mind being contacted by you now and getting the ball rolling, so to speak.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.