Age restriction lifted on generic 1-pill emergency contraceptive

Consumers will soon see generic versions of Plan B One-Step on drugstore shelves that will be sold to women and girls of all ages.

The US Food and Drug Administration sent letters on Tuesday to two generic manufacturers of the one-pill form of emergency contraception, telling them that they would be allowed to sell their products over the counter without a requirement that purchasers show proof of age.

These generic products will have to be packaged with new labels, however, stating that they are not for use in girls under age 17. That means it may take a few months before they appear in stores alongside Plan B One-Step, which came out from behind the pharmacy counter last July.

bostonglobe.com/news/nation/2014/02/28/cheaper-generic-versions-emergency-contraception-contraceptive-sold-buyers-all-ages/fmCPqSfmY2XB07nOChGbJI/story.html

This is a horrible idea. 14-year-old will be popping those like candy and no one will know what they took when they find them passed out on the floor. I had a roommate in college who took those pills 4 TIMES in one school year because she went to a party and “wasn’t sure if she’d had sex”. She was 18. What’s going to happen when a little girl can get them? Furthermore, this is another excellent way for rapists of young girls to cover their tracks without getting caught.

ABSOLUTELY.

Of course a 14 year old in school can’t take an aspirin without a doctor’s note, but they hand out abortion drugs like candy.

:eek: Look, I’m pro Plan B, but I do understand some arguments against it. Yours I find appalling though. We should not want young girls to become pregnant from rape so that their rapist gets caught. In fact, when a young girl is raped we should hope that her life is not forever torn apart due to a pregnancy that resulted from rape. The health implications of pregnancy for a 12 year old girl are severe, but let’s also talk about the psychological, social, and emotional issues that would come of that.

Rape kits work just fine, there’s no reason a pregnancy is needed for him to get caught.

I agree with Allegra…great way for sexual abuse of young girls to be covered up!!

Btw, blue eyed lady…would you tell Rebecca Kiessling she should have been aborted? Her mother was raped.

rebeccakiessling.com/index.html

So you think the rapist is going to take his victim to the hospital to have a rape kit completed on her?

And please do talk about the psychological, social, and emotional issues from having a baby for a teenager. Is there some type of trauma that accompanies a baby? And how does it affect teenagers differently from adults?

I don’t know what to say. I am horrified that we have gone so far in the wrong direction.

So a person can’t smoke or be out after curfew before they are 18, but they can kill a child. Wierd how or system has lost all logic.

:rolleyes: I didn’t say anyone should be aborted, I said that we shouldn’t hope for pregnancy to result from a young girl being raped, even if it would help catch her rapist (dubious at best).

As for the poster who asked if pregnancy affects young girls differently. Uh, yes, yes it does. There are a lot of physical, mental, and emotional ramifications of being pregnant and becoming a mom at 12. Teen pregnancy has a lot of negative effects, as does pregnancy resulting from rape. I can only imagine the horror of combining them.

When a judge ordered the morning after pill could be given to 17 year olds without prescription it was noted in the following article:

Making the morning-after pill over-the-counter for teenagers denies medical counseling and testing to girls who need mature guidance. A thirteen-year-old who may be pregnant is also a girl who may be sexually abused and at risk of contracting a sexually-transmitted disease.

thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/25760-morning-after-pill-fails-test-but-judge-orders-it-for-17-year-olds

Article on when a judge ordered the morning after pill could be given to 17 year olds without prescription:

Making the morning-after pill over-the-counter for teenagers denies medical counseling and testing to girls who need mature guidance. A thirteen-year-old who may be pregnant is also a girl who may be sexually abused and at risk of contracting a sexually-transmitted disease.

thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/25760-morning-after-pill-fails-test-but-judge-orders-it-for-17-year-olds

If a girl is pregnant at 12, she needs help and support, not abortion.

:eek:

What school (or schools) hands out abortion drugs without parental permission, but requires this permission before handing out aspirin?

Plan B has become Plan A in the Bloomberg administration’s stealth war on teen pregnancy.

Handouts of the “morning-after pill” to sexually active students have skyrocketed under an unpublicized project in which health centers in public schools offer girls a full menu of free birth-control drugs and devices, records obtained by The Post show.

Last September, the city revealed it had started giving out Plan B and other birth control in the nurses’ offices of 13 high schools. At the time, officials said 567 girls had gotten Plan B.

But the birth-control blitz was much bigger than the city had acknowledged. About 40 separate “school-based health centers” doled out 12,721 doses of Plan B in 2011-12, up from 10,720 in 2010-11 and 5,039 in 2009-10, according to the newly released data.

About 22,400 students sought reproductive care from January 2009 through last school year, records show. Under state law, minors don’t need parental OKs to get contraceptives.

The revelations stunned Mona Davids, president of the NYC Parents Union, whose 14-year-old attends a Manhattan high school.

“I’m in shock,” she said. “What gives the mayor the right to decide, without adequate notice, to give our children drugs that will impact their bodies and their psyches? He has purposely kept the public and parents in the dark with his agenda.”

Davids, who is black, noted that most school-based health centers are in poor neighborhoods.

“This was population control on blacks and Latinos without our knowledge,” she said.

nypost.com/2013/02/03/nyc-schools-giving-out-tens-of-thousands-of-doses-of-the-morning-after-pill/

And please do talk about the psychological, social, and emotional issues from having a baby for a teenager. Is there some type of trauma that accompanies a baby? And how does it affect teenagers differently from adults?

Most parents won’t even know this is available over the counter. Disgusting.

You are totally missing the point. Currently, the pills are available for the girls if they have a prescription, which means the rape is reported to a mandated reporter as well as the girl’s parents. If the pills are sold to little girls over the counter, the abuser simply drives the girl to the pharmacy and is able cover his tracks. Without the need to see a doctor, the rapist can continue abusing the girl and stuffing these pills down her throat.

Even though under no circumstances should teens be having sex, this might lead to more teens having unprotected sex because the girl can just pop a pill the next day. What could that possibly do to STD rates?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.