Aglican Baptism,Roman Catholic 1st Holy communion/confirmation question

So I was at a get together this past weekend and I got to talking with someone I never met before. She was very nice and somehow we got on the topic of 1st communion and such. She explained to me that her daughter missed the 2nd grade deadline for CCD and had to start the class with the 1st graders next year when her daughter enters 3rd grade or wait to do an oler class or something??? Then she explained that her kids were actually baptised in an Anglican church , but her husband who had converted years ago to be Catholic was only baptized and did not recieve the rest of the sacraments and therefor they could not have their kids baptized in the Catholic church. This is why they baptized them in the Anglican church. This lady was raised some kind of protastant. (She pretty much said she didn’t practice any specific denomination.) Any how, she said she plans on enrolling the kids CCD classes. Now, I am just wondering is she permitted to do this? can she (a non-Catholic) and her husband, a baptized but not communed or confirmed Catholic, start sending their kids to CCD for the rest of the Sacraments? It would be great if she can, but that is my question, can they do this or do they have to do some sort of conversion for the kids first or something like that? Just wondering???What is the procedure?

When she goes to register them she will be asked for the baptismal certificate. That will start things rolling for how the children will be received in the church. There is a little leeway on this that is left up to the Priest when it comes to children. The better thing would of course be for the catholic in the family to make an appointment with the priest to discuss how he can get things in order for himself and his children. Or she can make the appointment herself to discuss it with the priest. There was no reason for the children to be baptized Anglican. That was some type of misunderstanding. The marriage might also be out of the church. Who knows.:shrug:

Just because their father was not confirmed when he was received is no reason to deny their children baptism.

There’s something here that either you misunderstood, or she is not telling you.

*Seatuck: There was no reason for the children to be baptized Anglican. That was some type of misunderstanding. The marriage might also be out of the church. Who knows. *

actually you are correct, this is what she explained to me… she said her husbandconverted (was baptized) by a Catholic priest before they met. He just never enrolled or finished the other sacraments (something like that…) Also, they were married by a Justice of the Peace, not in the Catholic church.

bpbasilphx
There’s something here that either you misunderstood, or she is not telling you.

you are probably right. But I got kind of curious about how this type of thing works anyhow.

If the children were not baptized Catholic, in order to complete Catholic initiation they should participate in your parish RCIA. Check with your parish to find out how they accomplish this specifically.

yes any parent can present their children for religion instruction through parish CCD or the Catholic school for that matter. If the children are not Catholic they should be in RCIA for children, because they will be received into the Church through profession of faith, confirmation and first communion (preceded by sacramental confession) just as would an adult in that situation. Can’t say why the father was not completely initiated according to law if he was baptized Catholic as an adult, but somebody dropped the ball, as there is no provision for receiving an adult through baptism without confirmation and first communion at the same time. Assuming this situation indicates he is now ready and willing to live as a Catholic his priority should be completing his own initiation. Some parishes prepare families in this situation together through RCIA, some have separate classes for children and adults, but families are initiated together at Easter or other time designated by the bishop. (we are in this discussion speaking of those already baptized). The length of preparation is determined by the guidelines the bishop has set, and the needs of the individual adult. From what you say of this family the father received little or no instruction in the faith, and so would likely need a full course in the doctrine and practices of the Church, usually a year (or at least the school year).

This is extremely common here, as parents take their children over the border for baptism (because they don’t like the rule about taking classes, or because they have family there who can’t cross), but they end up in an Anglican church because they really don’t know it is not Catholic and the pastor does not enlighten them.

In the case of this family, the mother may very well want to attend classes with her husband and children so she understands the obligations and privileges of being Catholic, and since she is showing desire to educate her children, will want to know more about what they are learning. In short, this is evangelization in action, and your parish is blessed to have this new family. In any case she already has some false information, because her children were not denied Catholic Baptism because the father was not fully initiated, somewhere the message got garbled, and the family deserves to be told the true situation, I hope they are getting good guidance from the pastor. You can be of great service in seeing that they get an early appointment to discuss their situation directly with him as there may also be a marriage convalidation required.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.