Agnostic...curious and confused

Hi there…
I’ve joined to forum to discover more about catholicism. Since working in a catholic school and being with my partner who is also catholic, I have started to think a lot about catholicism.
I loved the teachings and attitudes that were taught at the school I worked at. I enjoyed talking to the other staff members about their beliefs.
I have been to church with my partner and his family, and enjoyed that a lot too. This may sound so silly, but when I’ve been in church (either with work or with my partner) I feel a sense of calm and happiness that I’ve never felt before. It’s made me really think about what I want out of life, as I feel I have something missing…maybe it’s religion?
My family aren’t really religious. They believe in God, but that is the extent of their beliefs, so I can’t really ask them much about organised religion as such.
I’m just sort of nervous about investigating further…any advice or guidence?
Thanks,
Boosh.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I wasn’t sure where to post.

Firstly, there’s no reason to be nervous in learning more. You aren’t seeking an organized religion…you are seeking truth: Does God exist? If He does, did He reveal Himself to us? How so? Did He establish a visible Church here on earth? What does He want from us, if anything? There’s everything to gain and nothing to lose in learning, so again, no reason to be nervous.

If you feel some pull and connection towards the Catholic Church, their teachings are contained in the “Catechism of the Catholic Church” which is available in any bookstore, and there are online versions available. Read it, study it, and challenge everything in it to your satisfaction. If you decide that the Catholic Church is where the truth lies, then the rest is simple. Your partner’s church can assist you with the process of becoming a Catholic. (I believe there is also a link “How to Become A Catholic” within this web site).

Catholicism for Dummies is an excellent place to start if you want to learn the basics of Catholic belief and practice.

One question – your use of the term “partner” makes me wonder if you are in a same-sex relationship. If so, that will pose an obstacle for you if you wish to join the Church (unless you’re committed to remaining celibate).

My partner is male, I am female.

I have many friends who are religious: methodists, protestant, born again christian…

I have been to services at all of their churches, and didn’t feel the connection I felt at my boyfriend’s church.

Also I’ve found they’ve had quite hostile views toward other religions…?

My boyfriend and his family are Irish Catholic. Most of the people I work with are catholic too.

I just feel more drawn toward it than other religions I’ve looked into.

Thanks for the clarification! :smiley:

Aside from its essential truth (which we believe as a matter of faith), Catholicism is a beautiful religion.

In addition to the Catechism this is very good.

https://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/this1578.jpg

This Is The Faith. Originally published in 1951 (with minor updates in 2002), the book covers the nature of God, the nature of man, the meaning of life, the nature of religion, the sources of Faith, the necessity of prayer, the duty of belief, the consequences of sin, the Commandments of God, the Holy Trinity, belief in Christ, the Redemption, the supremacy of the Pope, the Mystical Body of Christ, the Sacraments, the Mass, the priesthood, devotion to Mary and the Saints, what happens after death, the devotional life of a Catholic. Very interesting and very popular!

Welcome to the forums.

We will be happy to try and answer your questions though it sounds like you are about 2/3 way there already.
As for the “Proper Forum” this is as good as any to get started in. For specific questions I’d look at the apolgetics section, or the liturgy forum if it relates to the liturgy.

Perhaps we could start with a couple of simple questions/clarifications.

1. When you say you are Agnostic, how do you define this for yourself.
  2. Are you drawn more to “rational” and “logical” arguments or do you lean more toward the “Mystical” aspects?

Peace
James

=Boosh-Hi there…
I’ve joined to forum to discover more about catholicism. Since working in a catholic school and being with my partner who is also catholic, I have started to think a lot about catholicism.

I loved the teachings and attitudes that were taught at the school I worked at. I enjoyed talking to the other staff members about their beliefs.
I have been to church with my partner and his family, and enjoyed that a lot too. This may sound so silly, but when I’ve been in church (either with work or with my partner) I feel a sense of calm and happiness that I’ve never felt before.

***If there is a tabernacle in your Church you, freind are in the very physical Presence of the God that Created you. If no tabernacle, then you are still in the Presence of the Holy Spirit. What you are experiencing is the Power of God calling you home. ***

As a necessary first step I’m going to share a number of bible verses that validate the CC as being 1. The Only Church Founded by God personally, and 2. give evidence of the authority of the CC. Then I sugest you ask specific questions:)

**Mt. 6: RE: PETER “15 He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?"16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” This is the single most important set of verses to memorize and to be able to explain, as it deals with the founding of the RCC and the Primacy of Peter, on which every other teaching rest.

***Luke 10:16 “He who hears you hears me, and he who rejects you rejects me, and he who rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

Mark 3: 13 “And he went up on the mountain, and called to him those whom he desired; and they came to him. 14 And he appointed twelve, to be with him, and to be sent out to preach and have authority to cast out demons: Simon whom he surnamed Peter; James the son of Zebedee and John the brother of James, whom he surnamed Bo-anerges, that is, sons of thunder; Andrew, and Philip, and Bartholomew, and Matthew, and Thomas, and James the son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus, and Simon the Cananaean, and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.”

Mt. 28: 18 “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, to the close of the age.”

Mt. 18: 15 "If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every word may be confirmed by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Romans 13: 1 “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.***

Only the CC benefits from these verses*: John 17: 15 I [Jesus] do not pray that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth. As thou didst send me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sake I [Jesus] consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth

Titus 2: 15 “Declare these things; exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you. “

2 Cor. 10: 8 “For even if I boast a little too much of our authority, which the Lord gave for building you up and not for destroying you, I shall not be put to shame.”

1 Tim. 4: 3 “Till I come, attend to the public reading of scripture, to preaching, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophetic utterance when the council of elders laid their hands upon you. Practice these duties, devote yourself to them, so that all may see your progress. Take heed to yourself and to your teaching; hold to that, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. “**

Jn. 17: "15 I [Jesus] do not pray that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from the evil one.They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth. As thou didst send me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sake I consecrate myself, that they also may be consecrated in truth."

Love and prayers,

…peace be with you…really…

…you may want to take advantage of a “saint-of-the-day” e-mail subscription…the lives of the saints and your knowledge of them can be very inspiring…edith stein (st. teresa benedicta of the cross) is one of my favorites…

…peace—>mark

Thanks for you reply.

I think when I say agnostic…I mean I believe there is a greater thing than myself out there (referring to God). But my view of religion has been tainted in the past by people, namely my father (he was a true athiest and believed it was control of the masses…but he sadly was a weak man with substance problems, now I’m beginning to think he wasn’t brave enough to think about the bigger things and thats where his dislike of religion came from perhaps?).
I like the idea of religion, the sense of belonging and community. I feel that if I accept religion…then I will have more of a purpose, something to believe in. However I have only thought this since being exposed to the catholic faith. As I said before, I’ve been to methodist, protestant and born again christian services…and it didn’t do much for me to be honest.
I am very much a logical person. I have always sided more toward scientific explanations of things. But not everything can be clarified by science. So both aspects interest me…as well as the history of the church. I have a sad fascination with documentaries on Christianity and how the church has come about lol.

Since working at the school I’m in…as silly as this sounds! The things the children are taught…have really caught my attention.

Apologies if that’s incoherant or rambling :slight_smile:

Opening one’s heart and mind to God aka faith is a beautiful journey. Keep searching for the truth.

=Boosh;5677691]Thanks for you reply.

I think when I say agnostic…I mean I believe there is a greater thing than myself out there (referring to God). But my view of religion has been tainted in the past by people, namely my father (he was a true athiest and believed it was control of the masses…but he sadly was a weak man with substance problems, now I’m beginning to think he wasn’t brave enough to think about the bigger things and thats where his dislike of religion came from perhaps?).
I like the idea of religion, the sense of belonging and community. I feel that if I accept religion…then I will have more of a purpose, something to believe in. However I have only thought this since being exposed to the catholic faith. As I said before, I’ve been to methodist, protestant and born again christian services…and it didn’t do much for me to be honest.
I am very much a logical person. I have always sided more toward scientific explanations of things. But not everything can be clarified by science. So both aspects interest me…as well as the history of the church. I have a sad fascination with documentaries on Christianity and how the church has come about lol.

Since working at the school I’m in…as silly as this sounds! The things the children are taught…have really caught my attention.

Apologies if that’s incoherant or rambling :slight_smile:

You’re doing GREAT:D Kepp asking!

Love and prayers,
Pat

Thank you for the generous and thoughtful responses.
Just basically I believe that there is little doubt that God is calling you into the Catholic Church. The fact that you say you have strong feelings in a Catholic Church that are missing in other churches says a lot.

The fact that you accept the Idea of a, “Greater thing”, or, “Supreme being”, or “Power” really gets us past the need to talk about God’s existance.

The reason I asked about how you approach things, (logic and rationalism, or Spiritualism) has to do with possible recommendations for books to help you. (Frankly I’m a bit more "mystical/spiritual myself)
Since you are a more “Philosophical” and “Rational” type, I would recommend books by Scott Hahn for one. I’m sure others here will be able to offer others.

Finally let me ask you if you have access on TV to the network EWTN?
If you do, there are a number of programs that I have found useful.
One is called “The Journey Home” on Monday nights. also, a program on Sunday nights called The Catachism is hosted by Fr John Corapi. VERY GOOD Speaker.

If you don’t have access on TV you can stream the network from their wesite - EWTN

I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Peace
James

=JRKH;5679376]Thank you for the generous and thoughtful responses.
Just basically I believe that there is little doubt that God is calling you into the Catholic Church. The fact that you say you have strong feelings in a Catholic Church that are missing in other churches says a lot.

The fact that you accept the Idea of a, “Greater thing”, or, “Supreme being”, or “Power” really gets us past the need to talk about God’s existance.

The reason I asked about how you approach things, (logic and rationalism, or Spiritualism) has to do with possible recommendations for books to help you. (Frankly I’m a bit more "mystical/spiritual myself)
Since you are a more “Philosophical” and “Rational” type, I would recommend books by Scott Hahn for one. I’m sure others here will be able to offer others.

Finally let me ask you if you have access on TV to the network EWTN?
If you do, there are a number of programs that I have found useful.
One is called “The Journey Home” on Monday nights. also, a program on Sunday nights called The Catachism is hosted by Fr John Corapi. VERY GOOD Speaker.

If you don’t have access on TV you can stream the network from their wesite - EWTN

I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Peace
James

The recommendation for EWTN is a very good idea. As for the books, they too are good, if you have sufficient time to read them? The one Book you do want to get into is a Caholic Bible, and I suggest that you read the NT first twice before getting into the OT. It will give you much better insights and understandings.:slight_smile:

Love and prayers,
Pat

Hi Boosh,

just give it a go and see what happens ! :thumbsup:

I think EWTN is a good station to learn about things too. Also the podcasts from the web.

ewtn.com/podcast/

With the schooling, i guess it’s a great practical way to do some good in the world and hopefully see how a Catholic community can make a difference - congratulations !

=abucs;5685000]Hi Boosh,

just give it a go and see what happens ! :thumbsup:

I think EWTN is a good station to learn about things too. Also the podcasts from the web.

ewtn.com/podcast/

With the schooling, i guess it’s a great practical way to do some good in the world and hopefully see how a Catholic community can make a difference - congratulations !

***I could not agree more. Especially The Daily Mass which airs [EST] at 8 am, Noon and 7 pm.

Love and prayers,***

The reason you feel the calm and happiness in Church is because you are feeling the Holy Spirit…God love you, you are not agnostic…Having Jesus in my life has changed me for the better, …Welcome Him into your heart…God bless you:)

ask any question and we try our best to answer them. we are here to help each other.

welcome into the family of God. if you can read the Parable of the Prodigo Son in the NT. it is beautifull.

:highprayer::byzsoc:

Thankyou PJM.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.