Ahhh-men or Ay-men?

How are catholics supposed to pronounce “AMEN”.?

Does it matter? If so…why?

Thanks

I think “Ahhh-men” is correct, since the ancient word has come to us through the medium of Latin pronunciation, which pronounces the letter “a” with an “ahhh” sound.

However, I think its a non-issue how someone pronounces it, since the meaning is still perfectly clear.

I’s got to be Ahhhhmen.

Yes it matters. It matters greatly. In fact, your eternal salvation depends on it.

Why?

I don’t know. :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness, though, I don’t think there is any theological significance attached to the pronunciation. I know I say it both ways depending on the situation. I don’t really give it much thought. :shrug:

For what it’s worth, my mother taught me it was “Ay-men” and that’s what they always said at my church.

I noticed, though, on EWTN they say “Ah-men” and I seem to remember them saying it on the Andy Griffith show.

Maybe it’s a regional thing.

If you’re singng, it’s Ahhh-men.

If you’re speaking, it’s Ay-men.

:slight_smile:

In Latin prayers it is Ah-men. think it must be the right for English as well.

That’s the way I do it. My husband the Latin teacher says Ahh-men is Latin, Ay-men is English. :slight_smile:

Ahhh-men is what I say and what I will always say.

Because the Hebrew pronunciation is Ahh-mayne

Totally depends on the context. For example, if I say “Can I get an ‘Amen’”?! aaay-men. :smiley:

English pronunciation: ay-men

Latin pronunciation: ahhh-men

I go to an FSSP parish, so I do the latter.

Ay-men must be American. In England we say Ahhhmen.

Surely its Ahhhhh-meah-hen if you are singing it, no? :slight_smile:

I think that both are regional things.

Here in western Canada, it’s always “ah-men”, no matter if you’re singing or saying it.

But when I visited Florida this past summer, they always said “Ay-men” (whether saying or singing).

That’s my suspicion too. I’ve never heard “Ay-men” in Canada.

Ah-men with a short a. I say it that way at my home parish because everyone else pronounces it with a long a. It’s my way of being different, like kneeling after the Agnus Dei and taking communion kneeling and on the tongue.

Although I might start kneeling right after the great Ah-men, just to duck out of the frantic handshaking competition without being rude to the insisters.

No it does not. Why do you ask?

Woaw, that’s backwards. I think it’s ah-men everywhere BUT Canada…ay :smiley:

LOL! If I had the courage, I’d join you! :thumbsup:

Now back to the Topic in Progress. :wink:

I don’t think it matters. Where I live, there doesn’t seem to be one set way. Some people say “Ay-men”. Others say “Ah-men”. As a classical singer and used to singing in Latin and other languages which uses the open vowel sound for the letter “a”, I’ve gotten into the habit of saying, “Ah-men”. (As a kid, I used to say “Ay-men”.)

Because after answering this we have to ask is it soda or is it pop :confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.